What is the Appeal of Fireworks?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:48 pm
Personally, I'd be just as happy if fireworks (to say nothing of the other uses of gunpowder) had remained secrets of the Celestial Kingdom.

I can enjoy the colored lights in a professional display, but the pyrotechnic Bang-Bang-Bang makes me cringe and diminishes my pleasure in the lights.

As for the illegal, individual Bang! Bang! Bang!--count me out. It seems to me that the backyard fireworks demonstrate masculine cases of divine penis envy at an inability to hurl thunderbolts.

Am I being sexist? Are there women who enjoy glorious noise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 34
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:56 pm
As vivid, not to mention loud representations of the weapons of war, you just got to love them. Don't you?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:57 pm
I'm no fan of the noise. In Brazil they use these nasty things that have no spartks just explosions. During a football game it is horrible.

I like fireworks for the same reason I like fire.

It's like lightning, I love it, but don't care about the thunder.

Doncha think they can be purty? In Japan the fireworks I saw as a kid approached art. It was truely beautiful.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:58 pm
I certainly agree about illegal fireworks. They are dangerous, and not handled properly, can cause a tragedy.

As far as legal displays, I won't drive a long ways to stand in a crowd to see them, but if I happen upon a show, I enjoy it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:03 pm
I love fireworks. I love the lights and the noise and the crowd and the ability to go ooooooooh and ahhhhhhhhhhhhh and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh in public.

I've fought crowds to watch International Fireworks competitions. There will be city fireworks in the park at the end of my street tomorrow night. I'll be lying on a hill, feeling the vibrations and glorying at the show and oooohing and ahhhhhhhhing and ohhhhhhhhhing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:04 pm
I couldn't vote, because none of the choices reflected my enormous love of fireworks - and the American Flag option just didn't work for me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:54 pm
They're so thrilling!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:07 am
Noddy, I agree that backyard fireworks can be annoying and dangerous. However, a good pyrotechnics display is fun, exciting, and beautiful. I attended the fireworks that accompanied the celebration of the reopening of the Statue of Liberty. It was spectacular.

I also saw a gorgeous display in Copenhagen. Subdued by American standards, but really lovely.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:30 am
Wonder if the good citizens of Bagdad went 'Oooooh! Aaaaaaahh!'?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:14 am
Re: What is the Appeal of Fireworks?
Noddy24 wrote:
It seems to me that the backyard fireworks demonstrate masculine cases of divine penis envy at an inability to hurl thunderbolts.

Am I being sexist? Are there women who enjoy glorious noise?

Logically, I'm not sure if this is correct. If we assume that most fireworks participants are male, then they already have penises. It may be something more terrestrial that they are seeking, something akin to vagina envy.

Is there anything about women that makes loud noise or spectacular displays? Personally, I think both women and fireworks are very beautiful, dangerous, inspiring, and fun! Both require great respect. Fire can either warm, heat, or burn, but with care and attention ... blam!

I have noticed that men who explore such magnificence in the bedroom, seem less apt to search for it in the backyard. Hmm..... we find love, passion, and excitement wherever we can find it I guess. We are men.

Am I being sexist? My girlfriend enjoys glorious noise and I certainly enjoy helping. There's more than one way to shout to the heavens and light the sky with our soul...
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:21 am
I think fireworks inspire the body to see physically what sexual climax is really meant to feel like.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:29 am
Hey, Noddy. When we camped, we always had fireworks on the beach, but they were legal ones, carefully set up to shoot out over the ocean. They were breathtaking, and I loved them. If the noise is distant, I don't mind it at all, but like any loud noise close at hand, it hurts the ears.

Never once considered fireworks as being divine penis envy, though; More like men pushing the envelope.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:30 am
I love them !!
Awesome things.
The noise.
The SMELL !
The lights.
The fantastic spectacle.
The picking up the spent ones the next day that are lying in the wet grass smelling wonderful.
And, of course, it's THINGS EXPLODING !!!!

What more could you possibly want ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
I love 'em! The noise thing prolly doesn't work for me, since I'm just happy to have anything get through, but I've always loved 'em. Sozlet loves 'em.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:17 am
I don't seek 'em out, but there was one time...

The gf and I -- quite by accident -- drove into Switzerland on August 1, which is a big national holiday there. The traffic was awful.

But that night we camped in Lauterbrunnen, a typically broad and verdant swiss valley. As the sun went down, we noticed that someone had built an enormous bonfire about flaway up a very nearly sheer cliff. Pretty cool. Then, completely unexpectedly to us, fireworks started booming over the top of this crag. No music, no big coordinated show, just blast after blast of these vividly colored, spider-legged fireworks. The cliff was part of a point that jutted out from the main ridge, and some fireworks exploded on either side of it. When they went off on our side, they lit up our whole corner of the valley. When they exploded on the other side, the flashed a vivid sillhouette of the mountain on our eyes.

It was absolutely spectacular, just great stuff. Someday, in fact, I may go back to Switzerland just to camp in that same valley again on the night of August 1. The fireworks there seemed like a perfectly natural celebration, especially since the Swiss seem to consider the mountains their churches rather than those buildings they go and sing in on Sundays.

That said, those contrived, computer-timed, set to music thingies usually dazzle me for a minute and then just leave me bored. (Kinda like smart bombs, if I was going to make a very grim joke...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
Blow em up.
Blow em up REAL GOOD!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
The noise, the flickering colors, the bursts, the sprays, are all a fascinating display that makes us forget for the moment our troubles. c.i.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:53 am
I don't see the big deal why backyard fireworks are illegal in the States. In Japan during some holidays & such all the 7-11's are packed with fireworks you can do on your own, including some that are quite powerful. (PS: girls seem to like them too.) I think there are a lot easier ways to injure yorself than launching fireworks at your face. Anyways, I'm another one on the list here who likes everything about 'em. About 2 years ago I was watching some fireworks show on a beach here (many Japanese fireworks shows last 2 hours or even longer, non-stop) & the night before they'd actually sent divers to plant heaps of massive fireworks under the water which, during the show, would launch just to the water surface then explode into all kinds of wild effects in massive arches across the whole beach (sending massive shockwaves you could feel), while at the same time all kinds of things were going on in the air. That was the only time I've seen underwater fireworks..'twas quite cool indeed.
Japanese love to have something you've never seen before in their fireworks shows, whether it's some new wicked effect or some shape they manage to pull off (using the explosions) like a heart or saturn or suchlike. Hehe..fireworks rule!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
'bout four years ago we went to the beach to see the fireworks in Falmouth MA USA.

Seems that the big finale was awfully big, awfully early, and awfully low to the water...

The barge caught fire and everything went off all at once!

Ker-effing-Pow!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:19 pm
I lived in Malta in my teens and loved the fireworks at festa time. They sounded like world war 3 starting but were so pretty and spectacular.

Living in a multicultural city we have fireworks non stop from October to Christmas every year with Navratri, Diwali, Eid and Guy Fawkes - it just doesn't let up. That gets to be too much!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is the Appeal of Fireworks?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:05:52