A time and place for reading: what's yours?

roger

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
While eating. I do not understand a world full of people capable of eating with nothing to read.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:24 pm
Well, I think some of them talk, but I prefer reading myself...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:01 pm
I read constantly. I had to stop the San Francisco Chronicle being delivered because I coulnd't not read it through, and I don't even live there. Get the NYT on line, also useful as I don't read it cover to cover that way. So, for newpaper reading, I sometimes get the Sunday New York Times and curl up on the couch by the lamp and blow a few hours.

Books - tend to read them in bed at night. I might not be able to sleep if I didn't know there was something to read somewhere nearby. Kind of like a rudder, reading is a rudder.

Magazines - I sometimes bring to work, as I don't care if they get food drips and I can read them on the days we eat lunch at work...which is every day but Tuesday (site visit day).

Doctor's offices, my chance to stare at US New and World Report, PC World, and other mags/newspapers I never look at otherwise.

Yes, I have books in the car. First of all, I am always donating read books to St. Vincent's...or meaning to and not actually depositing them til dog hair wafts over them, whoosh. Plus the odd California wine guide, which I must say is no longer fascinating for me, but you never know when I might being driving along Dry Creek Road. Some halfway read New Yorkers and Harper's go under the passenger seat, for those desperate times waiting for the line to clear at the oil change place.

I have been known to take reading vacations...that is, once in a while, forget all the things to do and loll around reading all day. It gives me a tremendous additional guilt boost, and otherwise restores my sense of self in space.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:01 pm
while eating and curled up on the sofa and outdoors in the shade - anytime is right for reading!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
I go through phases where I'll read a book every week or two, then I will not read a single book for months. Doesn't seem to be any rythm to it. I read in bed, mostly on weekends.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
One of my favorite things is to plan what book to take on a long train ride or a flight somewhere. It has to be something I know I'll want to read--four hours without something good to read would be sheer hell!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:13 pm
Yeah! I've narrowed my flight books down to a choice among 3.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
Better decide soon, littlek!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
no kidding! My choices are:

Junk Food Nation (given to me by bro-in-law I'm off to visit with)
The last bit of Abbey's Road
very old assimov sci fi.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
I was thinking just this morning (my day off) when I was in our new Border's checking it out, about my old idea for a travel book store. I proposed it to Borders several years ago and got a smidgen of interest, but then whatever vice president it was who was interested changed departments, or something. I would still do it myself, however obsolete an idea it might be, if I lived in a bigger city, and had a nice wad of money to toss to the wind...

I wanted my travel book store to be arranged by countries, and have all sorts of books available about each....literature, mysteries set in, architecture in, art in, music in, business customs in, history, geography of, archeology...well, on and on.
Plus the obvious, guidebooks, language guides, travel memoirs, maps...

With little book stores at the airport, different books for different destinations...and little book stores for airport hotels...

Sigh, why aren't I an heiress?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
Powell's, in Portland, OR, has a branch store that has a travel focus. I think there's such a store in Seattle, too, so I suspect there may be such stores in other cities...

It's a great idea, ossobuco!
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 05:14 pm
I love to read at night at bed. I also enjoy reading while waiting to get my food, since I have a habit of going to restuarants alone, reading is good so I avoid getting bored by waiting for my food without doing something.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 05:15 pm
"It has to be something I know I'll want to read--four hours without something good to read would be sheer hell!" Now that's something I had to learn to do right after many mishaps. I started by thinking... Transatlantic flight -- now that'll be a good time to read Ulysses! Took me years to get honest with myself about those stretches of time require -- a ripping yarn, John D. MacDonald, Phineas Finn, NOT Ulysses!!

Osso, There used to be, in Austin, and may still be for all I know, a brilliant travel shop which had travel books, maps and travel gear -- the latter probably paid the freight for the former. For me the real pleasure of that place was the thorough, no cop-outs, supply of detailed maps for the damnedest places. Bus map for Rejkavik or Cape Town? Why certainly ma'am!
0 Replies

The Unholy Hypocrite

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
I read outside when its warm, i read on the bus, in the car. Mostly sitting on my bed at home.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 10:45 am
I read on my couch all nice and comfy, anywhere really.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 11:17 am
Tartarin and D'art...I want More in my imaginary travel book store. (We actually have one in town here too.) More, so for example under Italy I would find, besides maps, guides, travel memoirs, and language books - a selection of books on the art, crafts such as ceramics, the architecture, the archeology, history old and new, food, music, and on and on, to literature, by italian authors old and new, and books written by others that have italy as a feature, as in Mysteries and Police Procedurals Set in...
Almost one storefront just for that one country. For the world, I would need a whole town like the fellow in Texas...

Well, this is close in idea to a previous concept I had for an Italy store....but wider ranging, in that it would encompass, heh heh, the world, and the Italy store idea had other items besides books.

Safecracker, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 12:53 pm
Instead of a Texas-size bookstore, a more reasonable space in which the Italy (say) section has at hand some of the most wonderful books (in your view, of course) about all those subjects, an alcove with a sofa and a computer station linked to a database of books entirely about Italy. That way the access is there. You could make a sweet deal with Amazon, maybe.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 01:02 pm
I read the New York Times religiously every morning, generally at the bagel shop where I get my coffee. I do a lot of professional reading but for enjoyment I have a special chair, I generally read at night, when it is quite (but I will read any time and place if I get a chance) It beats TV which I haven't watched seriously in years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 02:39 pm
OssoB - your dream bookstore sounds a lot like Wayfarer's house. I could spend weeks visiting her, reading, kayaking and watching the sunrise and sunset. Now to wangle the multi-week invite :wink:

Where do I read? In the summer I read outside - on the bench on the front porch when it is extremely hot - in the backyard when it's a bit more temperate. There is a nice spot in the backyard where the neighbour's jasmine has grown over the fence - aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

In the winter, I am usually found burrowing into the sofa with a small stack of books.

I've almost given up on newspapers, but every now and then I buy one as a bit of a decadent treat. I lie down on the sofa and throw the sections I've read over the back. After a little while, I get up and bundle them for recycling. It's such a treat to just fling them over the sofa back - I sort of forget I'm the only staff I have. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 02:41 pm
Perfectly arranged pillows are a big part of my reading. I can't read if my pillows are not in order.
0 Replies