Without You - Il Divo

cello

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:42 pm
Could someone help me to identify who sang this song originally in English and/or who was the composer of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5LE0Zt3jg

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,738 • Replies: 23
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:51 pm
Translating that song, it comes out to Without You by Mariah Carey...

who did it before her? I dont know..

But I know that she could hit all those notes by herself.
She has an amazing voice, but not a career to match it sadly.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:04 pm
The original artist was the band Badfinger. The song was written by Tom Evans and Pete Ham (1970). It become a hit when Harry Nilsson sang it in 1971.
Others who have re-recorded it include Heart, Air Supply and Clay Aiken.

Good song by the way. I always liked it.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:06 pm
Thanks Very Happy .

The lyrics of Mariah's song seem very close to the song I am looking for. I can't remember the lyrics very well, it is such a long time I have not heard the song. But it is no nice, that's why I am trying to find the original male singer. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
Sad part of the whole thing is that the song's intent is to let a lover know that they cannot live if living is without you. Both Evans and Ham committed suicide at different times.
0 Replies

TTH

Sad part of the whole thing is that the song's intent is to let a lover know that they cannot live if living is without you. Both Evans and Ham committed suicide at different times.
0 Replies

cello

Oh, thanks so much Very Happy . I was typing when you were answering.

I think the singer I am looking for must most likely be Harry Nilsson. I don't know him at all Shocked , I have to find out if I can find his song in a CD somewhere. Thanks again.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:14 pm
cello wrote:
Oh, thanks so much Very Happy . I was typing when you were answering.

I think the singer I am looking for must most likely be Harry Nilsson. I don't know him at all Shocked , I have to find out if I can find his song in a CD somewhere. Thanks again.

You can. I like the way he sang it the best. I hope it is what you are looking for. Smile
0 Replies

cello

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:18 pm
That's really sad, I am sorry to hear that. I guess the song can really affect people deeply if they are emotionally charged.

A very good song though.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:27 pm
Hi Cello

Here is some further information about the song, perhaps the singer you are looking for, can be found here.

Without You" is a song originally recorded by Badfinger for their album No Dice (1970), and written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans and produced by Geoff Emerick. Its verse was composed by Ham, originally titled "If It's Love", but had lacked a strong chorus. Evans had written a chorus without a strong verse, so the duo fused the two sections together. The protagonist of this ballad lets a lover know that they "can't live if living is without you". Badfinger's recording of the song, which is more brusque than its successors' versions, languished as an obscure album track until it was noticed a year later by Harry Nilsson. Both Ham and Evans later committed suicide, Ham on 24 April 1975, and Evans on 19 November 1983. The suicides were unrelated (see Badfinger).

"Without You" became a hit single after being covered by Nilsson for his album Nilsson Schmilsson in 1971 (see 1971 in music); it stayed at number-one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks, from February 13 to March 11, 1972. It replaced "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green, and was replaced by Neil Young's "Heart of Gold". The song has been covered by several other artists, including:

Shirley Bassey, for the album And I Love You So released in August 1972 (see 1972 in music);
the rock band Heart, for the album Magazine released in April 1978 (see 1978 in music);
the band Air Supply, for the album The Earth Is... released in 1991 (see 1991 in music);
Mariah Carey, for the album Music Box released in 1993 (see 1993 in music);
Jade Kwan, for the album Jade-2 Special Edition released in January 2003 (see 2003 in music);
Clay Aiken, for the album A Thousand Different Ways released in September 2006 (see 2006 in music);
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 09:00 pm
Dutchy,
Leave it to you to end an answer completely Very Happy Nice to know though.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:35 pm
Dutchy

Thanks for the info, it's very interesting. Smile

By chorus, do you mean music, i.e. one composed the lyrics and one the music? Also, what are those references to yearly music, where can I find info on that?

Tryingtohelp, the version of Nilsson is great, I hope you will have to chance to hear it too. As for me, I am going to check out in the CD stores as soon as I have time next week. Btw, now I realize why the lyrics that I read from Mariah's song did not seem familiar to me. When I heard the song by Nilsson, I was just learning English and so could not understand any words other than "I can't live, live without you, I can't live, live any more, aaaaaaaah without yooooou". So of course that's what I remembered. Very Happy

Well, thank you again to all three of you, this song has brought back many nice memories to me. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
Just listening here. I like Harry Nilsson.

Welcome to a2k, Cello. To start with, I like your name a lot.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:44 am
I thought the spanish version was also touching. You do not always have to understand the language for a song to get you emotional. I noticed the one singer had tears in his eyes, I hope they were tears of joy.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:41 pm
Hi Ossobuco, thanks and thanks! Very Happy Well, I see that Nilsson is well known around here, and soon to be by me also. Smile

Shewolfnm, my comment to Tryingtohelp about listening to Nilsson's song was actually meant for you since you did not know his version. Smile It had been a long day yesterday, and a long week, the first full week after the holidays.

Tryingtohelp, oh yes, I agree that you don't have to understand the language to feel the song. And I think that's what makes a good singer, in that he/she can convey emotions through the song that can reach the listeners. I just think about Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma or La Dona E Mobile, everyone can feel without having a clue of what he is singing.

Il Divo also sing All By Myself and Unchained Melody, two of my favorite songs, in Spanish/Italian (can't know the difference) and they are pretty good at that too. I got their DVD Live at the Greek Theatre. They are quite cheerful to look at and very friendly to their fans. I really like them.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:50 pm
cello wrote:
Dutchy

Thanks for the info, it's very interesting. Smile

By chorus, do you mean music, i.e. one composed the lyrics and one the music? Also, what are those references to yearly music, where can I find info on that?

Tryingtohelp, the version of Nilsson is great, I hope you will have to chance to hear it too. As for me, I am going to check out in the CD stores as soon as I have time next week. Btw, now I realize why the lyrics that I read from Mariah's song did not seem familiar to me. When I heard the song by Nilsson, I was just learning English and so could not understand any words other than "I can't live, live without you, I can't live, live any more, aaaaaaaah without yooooou". So of course that's what I remembered. Very Happy

Well, thank you again to all three of you, this song has brought back many nice memories to me. Smile

You will have to let me know if you found it and which cd, if any, you got.
Always glad to help. Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:51 am
If you come back I wanted to let you know I bought the cd
Personal Best: The Harry Nilsson Anthology
There are some really good songs on it.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 08:34 pm
Tryingtohelp, I am glad you bought a CD, I was under the impression you already had the song. Yes, I got my CD too, and two as a matter of fact. They are "All Time Greatest Hits" (this is the one that has "Without You") and "A Little Schmilsson in the Night", both very good.

They say that in memories, things look beautiful, pinkish and rosy. Well, Harry Nilsson sang "Without You" even more beautifully than I remembered. Very Happy

What a nice voice, there are not many singers with such a nice one, he could really sing songs that sound quite difficult to sing for me. Some of them are now sung by Rod Stewart in his American Song Book CD's. I really like Rod's way of singing them, but Harry sang even much better.

I checked a little bit on the Internet about him, it seems he was quite well known and is still fondly remembered nowadays, and they recently made a movie about him. I've got to go back and read again about the movie, I did not have time the other day.

I am so glad to have "discovered" Harry Nilsson, and I thank again all of you in this thread who have made my discovery possible. Smile
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 09:01 pm
Cello, I am glad you even came up with the question to begin with. No, I did not have the cd. I love it though and he does sing from the heart (I think). Most good singers I find sing from the heart, something that really touches them. Let me know what you find out about the movie. I would love to see it or I can look myself, but since you are already going to, let me know okay?
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
Tryingtohelp, here it is:

http://www.authorizedpictures.com/wihn_home.html

I hope they will make a DVD out of it.

I also found this link that shows the movies where they have his songs. It is impressive!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0632223/
0 Replies