Fine-Tuning--Taking Requests

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:27 am
I started the Fine-Tuning threads to cover problems and errors that I see (or hear) frequently.

Although I still have a few topics I plan to discuss, I would welcome your suggestions. Do you have questions that you would like me to address? Problem areas you want to discuss?

I'm all ears. More or less.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,262 • Replies: 21
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:47 am
The difference between American English and the real stuff (!)sometimes causes problems.
For instance, "presently" does not mean the same in both places, and neither does "momentarily"

e.g. Pilot to passengers: "We will be touching down momentarily" in GB would suggest that the plane is going to bounce straight back up into the air again.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:34 pm
McTag, I like your idea, but I would need help from you and other speakers of the "real stuff."
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:38 pm
Presently: Americans would mean right now.

Momentarily: Americans would mean in a moment. Namely, not right now. Drunk
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:43 pm
Roberta,

If you want to do a comparison between the used English and the British one I'll pitch in. I speak global English but used to teach it from British books. I can toss in a few grammar differences and such.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:48 pm
New Haven, you think? I'd use presently as "will be happening fairly soon." Well, I guess it depends on use. "Where are you working presently?" would mean "Where do you work right now?" But "it will be happening presently" would mean "it will be happening fairly soon."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:50 pm
New Haven, Doesn't "presently" mean soon? Or has the meaning changed to mean at present?

Craven, Thanks. I'm gonna need all the help I can get.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:19 am
New Haven wrote:
Presently: Americans would mean right now.

Momentarily: Americans would mean in a moment. Namely, not right now. Drunk

Presently: Britons would mean soon, in a while, by-and-by, not right now.
For your "presently" we would say currently, at present, at the present time, or some other such phrase.

Momentarily: Britons would mean fleetingly, for an instant. Not, "at this moment" which usage seems to be becoming ever more prevalent especially from TV people.

See? Different.
I'm not sure how far to take this, but there are many instances, and I find them charming. And although Brits joke about the "real stuff", it is frequently the American usage which is the older- for example, in the use of the word "gotten".

Has anyone noticed the two opposite meanings of the word "quite"?

As in: Have you quite finished? (meaning, completely) and
I quite like that. (meaning, not completely)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:32 am
Listening...to all of you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:33 am
Listening to all of you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:34 am
Ok, I tried that with three dots, and now without three dots, and the last seems more unfriendly. But, there it lies.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:22 am
Osso, you are too much.

I'll do the American English/Real Stuff thread either Thursday or Friday. So please start keeping lists of expressions you would like to include.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for more requests. Somebody must have a question. Somebody must not be sure of something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:58 am
Somebody must not be sure of something, me, almost every post. Back with some hesitation, on a new topic, nag me if I don't.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:38 am
Osso, More than happy to oblige. I'm really good at nagging. It's rare that I get requests to display my talents in the area.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
How about "different from/different than" as a new thead? My take on it is that "different than" is never right, but a couple of these fine-tuning threads have surprised me, so maybe there's something I can learn about this subject.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
Sounds good, I don't know the answer to that one.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:25 pm
Okey dokey. Different from and different than will be added to my list. Bree, you're in for another surprise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Osso, I'm nagging you. Where are your suggestions? Huh? Where are they?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:17 pm
Uh oh....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:18 pm
You done the subjunctive and the attendant verb changes yet, Boss?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:28 am
Setanta, Not a boss. Barely a worker bee. Nope, I haven't done the subjunctive and its attendant word changes. I'll add this idea to my list. Then I'll have to figure out if I know the subject well enough to sound like I know about the subject. Thanks for not siccing anything or anyone on me today.
0 Replies