Proteus by Morris West

baltas

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:00 am
Just wondering if anyone here has read the book called Proteus written by Morris West (Publisher: Bantam Books, July 1982).

Here is a little review I got from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553190636/qid=1055396751/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/103-4185699-5649452?v=glance&s=books

------------------------------

Reviewer: A reader from valley stream, new york usa

I was spellbound by Proteus. It is beautifully written, the language is rich, the story deeply moving, the ideas grasp the reader and don't let go even after the reader has finished the book. The ideas about the nature of human existence, the role of freedom, both political and economic, their interrelatedness, the ease with which we can lose either or both, slowly or catastrophically, forces the reader to examine his/her place in society. What lengths are we willing to go to protect our inalienable rights?

Proteus is especially relevant in an America that has been rocked by the terroristic havoc of September 11th, a second day that will live in infamy in our history. The reader is forced to judge the protagonist--is he a hero or is he a terrorist?
For every individual who understands that the individual is the smallest minority and is a minority whose rights must be inviolate beyond any consideration of a "greater good" defined by political or economic terms or situations, Proteus is a beacon of clarity of these issues.

It is a celebration of the human spirit, and its pursuit of liberty. Congratulations, Mr. West--and thank you.

------------------------------

It's a really good book and I enjoyed it a lot. I was just thinking if there is a movie version.

Any discussion about the book would also be interesting :wink:
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 1
No top replies

baltas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:43 pm
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies