Endless carols endless torture, groups say

Reyn

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
Quote:
Endless carols endless torture, groups say

Posted on : Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:12:01 GMT

LONDON, Dec. 24 Forcing store clerks to listen to the same holiday music over and over could be akin to torture and should change, a British noise pollution group said.

The UK Noise Association and labor unions are suggesting legal action on behalf of store employees who listen to endless looped recordings of holiday music, the Observer said Sunday.

What we are saying is that, if Christmas carols are being played on the same CD repeatedly, that could create an unhealthy working environment. It must drive people to distraction, said Paul Clarke, spokesman for the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers. Exposure to the same music constantly is no different to being tortured, added Val Weedon, the noise association ' s national coordinator. Legal action could be difficult. An employment lawyer said employees would have to demonstrate that their employers could reasonably foresee any illness.

This means there would have to be some form of notice that an employee had some vulnerability to Christmas music, the ill health in question, or both, the lawyer said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 435 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 02:01 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 02:19 pm
I dunno about illness but I could understand sudden homicidal urges.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 02:19 pm
Piped in music would drive me crazy. I don't know how they stand it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:14 pm
I, myself, could stand a little christmas music in moderation, but certainly not the same tune over and over again.

It's akin to seeing the same inane TV commercial in the space of 60 minutes. Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:20 pm
Of course, endless loops of banal music (with central heating, indoor plumbing and no one shooting) might seem minor in some parts of the world.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:38 am
Any word on whether "Holly Jolly Christmas" was one of the worst offenders?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Endless carols endless torture, groups say
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 11:10:03