Please bow your head for the GODFATHER!

Baldimo

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 07:23 am
I'm sad to say that James Brown has died. He was one of the greatest performers in history. I saw him in concert back in 1992 with B.B. King. It was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen.

Once again please ow your head for a moment of silence for the Godfather of Soul!!!!!!!!

*jump back and kiss myself*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:37 am
perspective
I would like to keep things in perspective. Not to be a grinch, but I have a lot of trouble praising the man James Brown. I DO praise the performer for his innovation, his musical talents, his industriousness, his towering musical compostion in spite of the odds stacked against him by society.

However, as a man, he was a repetitive lawbreaker and convicted serial wife-beater even in his later years.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 05:31 pm
Oh man, let the brotha have his day, none of us are perfect.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:05 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Oh man, let the brotha have his day, none of us are perfect.

None of us are PERECT? WOW!
At the risk of being repetitious, I said, "CONVICTED SERIAL WIFE BEATER". Some things you have to take seriously. That's a serious issue in my book! How can it not be in your's?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
But on the day you DIE, I'd hope there's no one there to remind the world of your worst deeds. If you couldn't say something nice, you didn't have to say anything.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:26 pm
Re: Please bow your head for the GODFATHER!
Baldimo wrote:
I'm sad to say that James Brown has died. He was one of the greatest performers in history. I saw him in concert back in 1992 with B.B. King. It was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen.

Once again please ow your head for a moment of silence for the Godfather of Soul!!!!!!!!

*jump back and kiss myself*

I started a thread about this earlier today, Baldimo.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88970&highlight=
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:26 pm
re-read
Keep things in perspective. Please scroll back and re-read as I had said a lot nice about him
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:58 am
I read it. It was kind of like saying, on your dying day, "Ragman was a great conversationalist and intellectual - but I just couldn't get over that <insert worst thing ever done in your life here>"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:12 am
I liked James Brown's music, and had no idea about his mistreatment of his wife. It rather reminded me of Ike and Tina Turner.

One could probably attribute this to drugs and background, but I really have no idea; however, I will say that we tend to make a martyr of a performer when we eulogize.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:16 am
Letty wrote:
I liked James Brown's music, and had no idea about his mistreatment of his wife. It rather reminded me of Ike and Tina Turner.

One could probably attribute this to drugs and background, but I really have no idea; however, I will say that we tend to make a martyr of a performer when we eulogize.

James Brown was bad ass... as for Mrs. Brown... she got to watch him die and now she gets to spend his money, although Im sure she probably doesn't view it that way.

Squinney beats me all the time, but I still love her.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:22 am
Why not remember James Brown this way?

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-12-25T214055Z_01_N25301835_RTRUKOC_0_US-BROWN-DEATH-RIGHTS.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:33 am
Thanks, bear. I will remember James for his music, but all the parts of the circle do make a difference.

Ragman will be remembered for the fact that he is a Vietnam vet, I think. So many unsung heros out there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:41 am
I suspect that outside of a few family and friends that Ragman, as well as Bi-Polar Bear will be totally forgotten long after people are still talking about James Brown.

There will be no Bi-Polar Bear or Ragman middle schools or high schools I don't suspect. Laughing

Although I can easily see a "Letty's Academy Of Gracious Behavior".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:42 am
I suspect that outside of a few family and friends Ragman, as well as Bi-Polar Bear, will be totally forgotten long after people are still talking about James Brown.

There will be no Bi-Polar Bear or Ragman middle schools or high schools I don't suspect. Laughing

Although I can easily see a "Letty's Academy Of Gracious Behavior".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:53 am
I can see it all now: Our Letty of the gracious behavior cathedral. Hee hee. Love it!

Well, Lady Letty is going to fix breakfast for her in house folks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:21 pm
Thank you, Letty. Always the kind lady. Yes, you're right ... I'm a Vet.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:03 pm
I am still in mourning over the loss of perhaps the greatest entertainer of the Baby Boomer generation. I like almost ALL of his work but I really loved the early stuff, especially the ballads.

I was driving to the grocery store yesterday and they were playing his stuff, I think Please, Please, Please and I just completely lost it.

In Baltimore, where I grew up, every Sunday, we would get live radio feeds of the shows at Carr's Beach, Annapolis, the "black" beach. Alll the top R & B performers played there but hearing that "and now the star of the show, James Brown and the Famous Flames" then they played the fanfare, Wow that topped everything even Otis Redding, who fortunately, I got to see live TWICE! But I never saw James live.

I also remember my father asking me why I liked that "nigger music?" My dad was an equal opportunity music hater though cuz I liked Hank Williams too and he called that "Hillbilly music" Funny, I think my father just hated music. He used to listen to Bob and Ray in the car.
0 Replies