13-foot pet snake strangles owner

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:40 pm
Quote:
13-foot pet snake strangles owner

Associated Press
Dec. 18, 2006 08:46 AM

CINCINNATI - A 13-foot boa constrictor wrapped itself around its owner's neck and killed the man in his home, authorities said.

An acquaintance found Ted Dres, 48, inside the snake's cage Saturday and called police, the Hamilton County Sheriff's office said.

The snake was still strangling Dres when deputies arrived, and the officers had to work with members of an animal protection group to remove the reptile, the sheriff's office said.

Dres' snake will be kept at an animal shelter awaiting instructions from police or Dres' family, said Andy Mahlman, spokesman for the Cincinnati Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"People who keep these type of animals as pets should know exactly what they're doing and what they're capable of," Mahlman said.

He said he has seen photographs of reptile owners posing with snakes coiled around their necks.

"They don't realize they could be a few seconds away from death," he said.

Of all the ways to die in this world, this is indeed a stupid and needless way.

Moron....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:13 pm
Did he keep it in his septic?
0 Replies

malek

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:40 pm
Why on earth is it still legal to keep one of these things?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm
Exactly! Who in their right mind would keep a snake as a house pet.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:04 pm
To my mind, it's the equivalent of having Hannibal Lecter as a permanent house guest.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:22 pm
Did they say who the snake thought was gonna feed it after it strangled the guy??
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:32 pm
I've seen reports like this all too often. I don't know why people think that snakes are manageable or tameable. They must be treated with great caution and some degree of intelligence.

Although venomous snakes have the worse reputation, the fact is that a constrictor of this size can kill far more quickly than any venomous snake.

It bothers me that wild animals are kept as pets. It bothers me that people blame the animals for being what they are--wild. And it bothers me that people die needlessly.

I saw a report recently about pythons in the Everglades. Yes, pythons, which are not native to this country. People get them as pets and then discover that they don't make good pets. They just keep growing. So people release them. The python population is threatening many native bird species and is giving alligators a run for their money.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:17 am
Should I be concerned about my 13 gram pet rock?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:44 am
DrewDad, I have a pet rock named Stella. So far, so good.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 02:10 am
Roberta wrote:
DrewDad, I have a pet rock named Stella. So far, so good.

STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Ahem...sorry..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:20 am
Deb, No apology necessary. In fact, that reaction is exactly why I named the rock Stella. Yo, Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:34 am
That has to be the inspiration behind the Flintstone's opening scene bit, right?

You know, where Fred has been locked out by the cat, and hammers on the door, yelling:

"WILMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:50 am
Wouldn't surprise me. Names ending in A can get that. I can still hear my mother--Roboidaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Enough digressing. I'm worried they're gonna do away with the snake.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 13-foot pet snake strangles owner
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 04:36:01