Bandwith usage & Checking for Virus - Downloads

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
I have Internet with a cap on bandwith usage, and I would like to know when a "download" is actually a download that uses bandwith.

Let's say I want to listen to a song or watch a video on a site like YouTube (but not save to my computer anything), and the site says downloading song/video, does that use up the bandwith? YouTube says "Loading" not downloading, but other similar sites say downloading.

Also, if I want to save a song to my computer and it gets downloaded but I don't save to my computer after all (e.g. if something shows up that makes me not to trust the site), has the downloading used up the bandwith even though no saving to the computer had been done?

And how can I check if a picture, song or a video has virus before saving to my computer? I have Norton anti-virus but I don't know what to do. Thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 553 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:17 pm
Just remember that with internet or web usage, any data that transfers between the two computers adds to your 'usage' of bandwidth (up or down, ie., from your computer or to your computer). There are usually different limits for upload and download.
So if data comes to your computer for immediate viewing, it does add to your usage. The fact of storing such data on your computer makes no difference - the transfer has taken place.

With most antiviral packages you are given choices of what activities or files are protected. Read the the help files if the software is not sufficiently intuitive.
I happen to use NOD32 and that has a module called IMON which is dedicated to internet uploads and download activity.
Another module called EMON checks all emails!
Just enable what you want - I always use everything and follow the recommendations myself.
0 Replies

Sunnyface

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 05:58 pm
Thanks rhymer. Smile It is good that I double checked because when I asked my Internet provider, they told me only when a file gets saved to my computer does it count for bandwith, and not when I just look at videos or listen to the songs. I was not too sure about the explanations that they gave to me, because they did not make sense.

And I am going to use the Help feature as you suggested for the anti-virus. Thanks again.
0 Replies