Hate Spam? Microsoft Looking Into Ways to Squelch Spam!!

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 06:57 am
One of the negative sides to the internet is spam. Unwanted commercial solicitations have become the bane of a computer user's existence. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel though.

Bill Gates has declared war on spam. His company, Microsoft is working on a number of technologies that if it won't stop spam in its tracks, will slow it down a lot.

Do you get a lot of spam? are you bothered by it? Have you implemented any techniques to curb the amount of spam that you get?

Link to Microsoft's War on Spam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 837 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
While I'd be in favor of reducing spam I'm not particularly thrilled about MS taking any lead in the process. For one thing, they do a pretty crappy job on their own services to begin with. How many spam e-mails have you gotten that come from a hotmail.com account? When MS stops spammers form using their own service they'll have made a huge dent in it right there.

Beyond that MS "taking the lead" usually seems to end up with MS unique solutions that are only half-solutions. You end up paying for that in the end with upgrade after upgrade.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
fishin'- I get NO spam on my Outlook Express....and one guy who wants to increase the size of my penis on Hotmail. The place where I get spam up the wazoo is on Yahoo. Maybe that's because when I first got my computer, and I was young and innocent, I subscribed to everything in creation, and listed my Yahoo address! Embarrassed
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:49 pm
How many of the spam e-mails you get in your Yahoo account are from Hotmail addresses? I get 6 to 10 a day from hotmail alone (another bunch from yahoo.com addresses).

I have MSN as my ISP and I get about 30 total on an average day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:25 pm
fishin'-I am going to check that for a day or two, and get back to you.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:28 pm
I have never got an eMail on my yahoo account, I have never left it anywhere nor used it for anything. My msn account - about 30 messages a day. MSN is not my ISP, but is my homepage.
0 Replies