Eschew

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:06 pm
Aluminum is quite easy to pronounce for your average American. I can see where someone of germanic origin may trip over such a word, but that is not surprising and, actually, is acceptable. We are aware of your shortcomings regarding pronunciation and other matters and have learned to live with them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:07 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Frankly, I don't like 'paradigm'.

Really? Please explain.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
We are aware of your shortcomings regarding pronunciation and other matters and have learned to live with them.

Youuu, youuuuuuu http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/wife.gif
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Aluminum is quite easy to pronounce for your average American. I can see where someone of germanic origin may trip over such a word, but that is not surprising and, actually, is acceptable. We are aware of your shortcomings regarding pronunciation and other matters and have learned to live with them.

It's easy when you leave out an "i".

Colonials.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:15 pm
Forgive me for that, old europe.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:16 pm
Don't worry, gustav, we are aware of your shortcomings and have learned
to live with them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
Touche.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:38 pm
So, French is okay, but German isn't?

That takes a lot of chutzpah (one of my favorite words) coming from someone named Ratzenhofer, y'know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:44 pm
from the Merriam Webster website -

paradigm
One entry found for paradigm.
Main Entry: par·a·digm
Pronunciation: 'per-&-"dIm, 'pa-r&- also -"dim
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin paradigma, from Greek paradeigma, from paradeiknynai to show side by side, from para- + deiknynai to show -- more at DICTION
1 : EXAMPLE, PATTERN; especially : an outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype
2 : an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its inflectional forms
3 : a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the experiments performed in support of them are formulated; broadly : a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind
- par·a·dig·mat·ic /"per-&-dig-'ma-tik, "pa-r&-/ adjective
- par·a·dig·mat·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Why don't they just say 'archetype' or 'framework'? Annoyingly jargonesque to me, harrumph. Reminds me of 'parameters', which I don't need to hear one more time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
I can feel your anger, osso. Let it out.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
Eva wrote:
So, French is okay, but German isn't?

That takes a lot of chutzpah (one of my favorite words) coming from someone named Ratzenhofer, y'know.

He must have had some traumatic experience with his German
relatives, Eva.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm
I'M NOT that angry; I just eschew the words myself.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:02 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
He must have had some traumatic experience with his German relatives, Eva.

I don't know, but to me it seems that gus is well beyond the point of traumatic experiences with relatives...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:01 am
I don't like the word phlegm. I don't like saying it. I don't like spelling it. I don't like having it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:33 am
If you have an issue with eschew, best get to the bank before they escheat it to the State.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Eschew
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:29:51