S.C. Man Apologizes for Illegal Parking

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:19 am
Quote:
S.C. Man Apologizes for Illegal Parking

Dec 15, 4:09 PM (ET)

UNION, S.C. (AP) - A man who parked illegally in a space reserved for handicapped drivers was sentenced to stand outside the store with a sign telling everyone about his crime.

Ragheem Smith, 29, was standing in front of a Bi-Lo grocery store Thursday with a handmade sign that read "I am not handicapped. I just parked there, sorry."

Magistrate Jeff Bailey imposed the sentence. "I figured he needed to apologize in a public way," Bailey said.

Smith told Bailey he didn't have the money and couldn't afford the time away from work a jail sentence would require. He could have been sentenced to 30 days in jail or fined $325.

"That was better than having to pay a lot of money," Smith said of his punishment. "I know I won't do it no more."

I feel this punishment was appropriate. I think it's more effective than just paying a fine. After all, the idea is to get folks not to repeat the offense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 508 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:40 am
Bravo for that judge.

Joe(justice from the middle)Nation
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » S.C. Man Apologizes for Illegal Parking
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 04:26:29