Eragon

Ray

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:45 am
This is another fantasy book that has a movie based on it coming out. I've never read it. Is it any good?

The movie trailer doesn't look too appealing, but hopefully the movie is better.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 806 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:26 am
I found the book to be so full of cliches as to be nearly unreadable.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:12 am
It's like the idiots version of LOTR, McCaffrey, C.S. Lewis and Ursula K. Le Guin. It was written by a 16 year old (no really) and it read like a kid wrote it. I think it only sells because of the cover art.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
Here's a page from the Official Website:

http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm

The book is highly derivative, but a considerable accomplishment for a teenager.

I read perhaps a third of the first volume, sighed and quit. All the same I wish the young author well.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:56 pm
Wow, didn't know it is so unpopular.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:27 pm
Ray--

Remember, weak books frequently make excellent movies.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:57 pm
movie reviews in Oz have been nondescript.

What I read says this movie does not pretend to be and does not seek to be either. It is what it is a holiday movie for kids and grandparents.

You could do worse than let your children see a fantasy imbued with the christian values of chvilary.

A fantasy lark aimed largely at kids and adolescent Goths.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 06:52 am
Well I've heard bad things about the movie, and how it deviates a whole lot from the book...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm
I'm wiht Noddy. I found the book to be very derivative, but the story has some original elements and was quite readable to me, if simple (no hard going over the holidays for me!)... and the author was a teenager when he wrote it.

The sequel, "Eldest," is available now. The series is projected to be a
trilogy; we'll see how the whole thing pans out.

In the long run, he may turn out to be a creditable writer. Enjoy it for what it is, and let time tell us more.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 08:17 am
Yes I agree. The author meant to write an archetypical heroic story and that's what we should view it as.
0 Replies