School expelled Muslim boy for urinating on the Bible

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:03 pm
Quote:
Expelled Muslim boy's father blames school

Cameron Stewart
December 08, 2006

THE father of a Muslim boy expelled for urinating on the Bible, burning pages from it then spitting on it has lashed out at the school, saying it failed to protect and control his son.

And the accused boy, 13-year-old Ibrahim Cukovic, has spoken out for the first time, saying he regretted his involvement in the incident, although he claimed it was another boy who urinated on the Bible.

"It was a real bad thing that happened," he said in an interview with The Australian at his house in Fawkner, in Melbourne's north. "My parents always teach me to respect other religions."

Ibrahim, who has remained at his home since being expelled last week, appeared sullen and withdrawn as he spoke about the incident, which has shocked the nation's Muslim community.

Another student has been expelled and a third suspended from the East Preston Islamic College over the incident.

"It has been difficult for me because I am putting the family under pressure and I feel bad," Ibrahim said.

When asked why the boys chose to desecrate the Bible, Ibrahim shrugged his shoulders and said he did not know.

But his father, Omar, was angry at the school, which he said had failed to properly supervise the boys on a rural school camp last week where the incident occurred.

In disgust, he has withdrawn all of his five children who attend the college and says they will no longer go to an Islamic school.

"I do blame the school because they should have looked after them better and supervised them more - they let those boys run amok," he said.

"My children are my responsibility when they are at home with us, but once they get on a school bus they are the school's responsibility." Omar said news of his son's involvement in the desecration had devastated the family.

"It was the last thing I expected in my life with my own children," he said, throwing his hands in the air.

"As parents we definitely have to share the blame, but what children do behind our backs we don't always know. When I heard about it I felt like a ton of bricks fell on my head. I hope he has learned a valuable lesson - and the school, too."

EPIC principal Shaheem Doutie said the school community was shocked by the desecration and said the college placed great emphasis on religious tolerance.

However, as revealed in The Australian yesterday, the school's library contained a video of a banned cleric calling Australian Christians "evil" and non-Muslim schools "sewers".

Although the radical tape, of Abdur Raheem Green, has been shown to some students at the school, Ibrahim said he had not seen it.

Omar, a retired taxi-driver of Albanian origin, said that although his family were Muslim, they had a Bible in their house and that his six children were taught to respect all religions.

"The Bible is also God's revelation, the Old Testament, the New Testament, and if you abuse these books as a Muslim, you are out of Islam," he said.

"I was taught that we are all the same - brothers and sisters in humanity."

A school report into the incident said Ibrahim was the "main perpetrator" of the desecration, and that he urinated on the bible, burnt pages from it and then spat on it.

Ibrahim disputes this.

Well, isn't this a hot potato?

I'll have to think on this a bit.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:32 am
I don't know enough.

This is what school? Where?

I'll usually agree readily on folks having a right to their own schools.
Still, I feel sort of culturally whapped by virtue of my own private school education, re programming, so I can extrapolate from that to what people learn in school in places with one, only one, point of view.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:56 am
So, I went on and on, and edit myself.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:01 am
Melbourne Australia Osso.

I am proud of the fathers stance If he is not lying to protect himself and his family.

Quote:
In disgust, he has withdrawn all of his five children who attend the college and says they will no longer go to an Islamic school.

"I was taught that we are all the same - brothers and sisters in humanity."

As parents we definitely have to share the blame

This is one just of those dumb things that kids do without thinking it through.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:08 am
I tend to agree with you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:48 am
Quote:
When asked why the boys chose to desecrate the Bible,

Rolling Eyes
It is just a BOOK!
A book with no power.

The power from a book ( no matter the contents) belongs to the person who reads it.

This should NOT be about whos whinning over a burned bible.. but why is a child lighting fires at school?

He should be in trouble for that.

Lighting a fire at school where there are sometimes over 100 people present is absolutly not safe.

Yet, THAT is not addressed.. just a supposed insult to a religion.

give me a break.

Kids do stupid , and sometimes angry things, because they are kids.
Things like this are expected to happen.
But I dont agree with the schools reasoning for punishment.

They should make more of an issue about setting fires, and stop worrying about their personal beliefs.

He could have set someone else on fire
He could have caught the building on fire...

why oh why are they crying over it being a bible?

Fire kills..

bibles dont.

( grumble grumble )
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:02 am
Storm in a teacup, you're quite right.

However, it would be interesting to theorise how the father would've reacted if 13 year old Christian boys came and peed on his Qu'ran.

Or if some 13 year old Christian boys had happened to pee on a Qu'ran whilst attending a school in Tehran.

Just wondering.........
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Storm in a teacup, you're quite right.

However, it would be interesting to theorise how the father would've reacted if 13 year old Christian boys came and peed on his Qu'ran.

Or if some 13 year old Christian boys had happened to pee on a Qu'ran whilst attending a school in Tehran.

Just wondering.........

I getch'a..

and yeah, that would be an insult no matter what.

I am not saying that he DIDNT insult anyone..
Im just amazed at how people want to pay MORE attention to the fact that it was a bible on fire, and NOT the fact that there WAS a fire, LIT by him, on SCHOOL grounds..

ya know?

If it would have been me , in elementary school, I would have been expelled for arson. Period.
And nothing to do with it being ' a bible'

I would have been seen as a physical danger and treated as such.
Not shamed into a religious insult..

ooooooooooooo grrrrrrrrrr
dont get me started so early in the morning..
HA
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:23 am
.."If it would have been me , in elementary school, I would have been expelled for arson. Period.
And nothing to do with it being ' a bible'........."

Absolutely!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:29 am
Now if he had burned the book, thought better of it, and then urinated on it to squelch the flames................................ Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:40 am
Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:41 am
Gun alert at Bible scandal school
Cameron Stewart
December 12, 2006
AN Islamic school where two boys desecrated the Bible has ordered 24-hour security after an armed man terrorised staff and bashed a member of the school board.

The incident, late on Friday, appears to have been in response to the Bible controversy and has shaken teachers and students at the East Preston Islamic College, in Melbourne's north.

Samir Mohandis, a member of the EPIC board, said he was punched by a man who entered the school grounds carrying what looked like a pistol and claiming to be Jesus.

More
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:56 am
I also note that http://www.afic.com.au/sm.htm suddenly has no link for islamic schools in Victoria. links work for every other state of australia just not Victoria. I guess to save these schools sites from being hacked and recieving hate mail.

I was interested in finding out where the school camp was, being so dry and all around Victoria. Burning the pages may have been an illegal act under the country fire authority act. A far more serious crime in my opinion
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:56 am
While I do not believe in or even reverence the Bible the slightest bit, desecrating it in this manner is an attack on the belief of the Christians. So, it is not, merely, a book. On the other hand, I do agree that this was just a childish act on the part of one who did not think it through before acting. From what I've read, I think the boy and his family are decent enough and the matter ought not be pursued further.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 07:14 am
If this was one of my cubs they'd receive some heavy duty consequences at home for their dumb ass behavior for pulling out their dick on school property and urinating on anything.

There are sporting events and bars where this sort of behavior is more appropriate.

Children need to be taught a sense of decorum.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 07:15 am
That's tellin' 'em Bi! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:03 am
I find myself in consensus with most opinions here.

I do feel that the more serious crime here is the starting of a fire (no matter where it is) and the inappropriate behaviour of urinating in the wrong place. There's got to be a suitable punishment for this.

While I'm not a Christian (and not particularily religious), I do feel that treating others' religious symbols with some respect is important, too. Probably wars have been started for less.

We need to work on being nice to each other, despite differences. It's a small planet.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:20 am
They just expelled him? I knew many ultra-neoliberal Australians but now they are overdoing it with tolerance.
0 Replies

Grandmaster

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 02:00 am
Thats pain disrespectful.......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » School expelled Muslim boy for urinating on the Bible
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:01:36