First contact with China manufacturer, what do I ask?

cjones

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:49 am
Oh look, another question about importing goods from China! Surprised

I have read through pages of questions and answers which were very helpful, but they seem to be a few steps ahead of where I'm at, I'll keep them for future reference though.

I have found a product I would like to import to re-sell in the USA. I have found a supplier on alibaba and another via the web. When I make the first contact with them, what questions do I need to ask? This is my first venture into this, so I'm not even at step 1 yet.

I'm assuming I need to worry about lead times, payment terms, price and shipping. Have I missed anything?

Thanks for helping a beginner out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,951 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:52 am
The first thing you do is look them in the eyes and shout, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?"

If they understand what you're saying, then you may proceed with business. If, however, they just stare at you in a non-comprehending fashion, it is best to move on and start screaming at some other Chinese people.
0 Replies

cjones

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:56 am
So step 1 is...
1: Yell really loud, loud enough so that they can hear me from Texas.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:58 am
Use the phone.
0 Replies

cjones

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:18 am
All sarcasm aside...

If someone can help out with the first few steps after finding a manufacturer, it would be appreciated. I want to make sure I know what to ask to prevent any expensive surprises.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:47 pm
Bumping this up -- you will probably want to see about setting up letters of credit -- someone with more experience, I'm sure, will be better able to help you.
0 Replies

TPLDavis

Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:41 am
Talk with Davis
Dear,

You do not need to prepare for the questions,let everything come out naturally.

It is necessary to make sure that they understand you well firstly.

Next you need care about the payment term,ask them how to pay.

Then you need to ask the readiness of the shipment and loading time,then you could inform me to arrange equipments to load in the manufacture,if nessary we should do survey before loading,

If you need further information,you could write me email to shipping at tplocean dot com

Faithfully.
0 Replies