Girl, 13, charged as sex offender and victim

Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:19 pm
Quote:
Girl, 13, charged as sex offender and victim

By Pamela Manson
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:12/06/2006 01:12:35 AM MST

Salt Lake City - Utah Supreme Court justices acknowledged Tuesday that they were struggling to wrap their minds around the concept that a 13-year-old girl could be both an offender and a victim for the same act - in this case, having consensual sex with her 12-year-old boyfriend.

The Ogden, Utah, girl was put in this odd position because she was found guilty of violating a state law that prohibits sex with someone under age 14. She also was the victim in the case against her boyfriend, who was found guilty of the same violation by engaging in sexual activity with her.

"The only thing that comes close to this is dueling," said Associate Chief Justice Michael Wilkins, noting that two people who take 20 paces and then shoot could each be considered both victim and offender.

And Chief Justice Christine Durham wondered if the state Legislature had intended the "peculiar consequence" that a child would have the simultaneous status of a protected person and an alleged perpetrator under the law.

The comments came in oral arguments on a motion asking the high court to overturn the finding of delinquency - the legal term in juvenile court for a conviction - against Z.C., who became pregnant after she and her boyfriend engaged in sex in October 2003.

State authorities filed delinquency petitions in July 2004, alleging that each had committed sexual abuse of a child, a second-degree felony if committed by an adult.

The girl appealed the petition, saying her constitutional right to be treated equally under the law had been violated.

Her motion noted that for juveniles who are 16 and 17, having sex with others in their own age group does not qualify as a crime.

Juveniles who are 14 or 15 and have sex with peers can be charged with unlawful conduct with a minor, but the law provides for mitigation when the age difference is less than four years, making the offense a misdemeanor.

For adolescents under 14, though, there are no exceptions or mitigation and they are never considered capable of consenting to sex.

A juvenile court judge denied the motion by Z.C., who then admitted to the offense while preserving her right to appeal to a higher court. The boy did not appeal.

The Utah Court of Appeals last December upheld the judge's refusal to dismiss the allegation, saying the law's "rigorous protections" for younger minors include protecting them for each other. Z.C. then appealed to the state Supreme Court.

At Tuesday's arguments, Matthew Bates, an assistant Utah attorney general, argued the prosecution of the girl was not unreasonable. He said the statute in question is designed to prevent sex with children who are 13 and younger, even if the other person is in the same age group.

By passing that law, legislators were sending a message, Bates said: Sex with or among children is unacceptable.

Randall Richards, the girl's attorney, argued that prosecuting children under a law meant to protect them is illogical.

"A child (victim) cannot also be a perpetrator in the exact same act," Richards said.

The Utah Supreme Court will issue a ruling later.

Okay, this is just a bit weird. I'll keep an eye out for an outcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 451 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:55 am
This would never have got to court in my country, and I daresay in many other states of the USA. In most jurisdictions in the Western world, the laws about minimum age for sexual activity are designed to protect young people from exploitation by older persons. In some countries, there is an age-gap type of test applied by the law, for example if a 13 year old girl had sex with a boy under 17, the boy would not face prosecution if the relationship was consensual. That is not to say that 13 year old girls should necessarily be having sex, but rather that the issue is best dealt with other than by criminal charges and a trial in court. I believe in some states of the Union the age of consent is fixed at 12.

In my country the age of consent is fixed at 16, but the police and prosecution service have discretion, and certainly a if girl of 15 and a boy of 16 had sex, neither would probably be prosecuted.

I remember reading an article in an American magazine in 1974, where a famous movie director fled the USA after being accused of having sex with a 14 year old girl. "Most Californians", the article said, "have no problem with 14 year old girls having sex, as long as it's 14 year old boys they are having it with." I think that such an attitude ignores the risk of much-too-early pregnancies, but that was 1974.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 04:21 am
This case would have been thrown out here, but Social Services would have been alerted, and would probably get involved. It is very likely that some form of order from a Family Court would be obtained, placing the children and their respective families under "supervision" for a period of time.
The kids would then have regular contact with an allotted social worker, and a counselling/education programme would be put into place, if deemed necessary.
The Family Court records would not be counted as a formal criminal record, and would therefore be destroyed after a period of time, thereby removing the risk of these children being stigmatised at a later stage in their respective lives.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 10:46 am
thanks for your input guys....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 11:32 am
What a waste of time and money. The one thing I can't stand about this country is how every little f'n thing goes to court.

"Do you plead guilty?"

girl: "Like, homework...yuck! Brittney Spears, YAY!"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 01:52 pm
Now there's a euphemism for underage sex--dueling.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girl, 13, charged as sex offender and victim
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:34:12