Child Arrested After Opening Holiday Gift Early

Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:28 pm
Quote:
Child Arrested After Opening Holiday Gift Early

POSTED: 9:26 am PST December 5, 2006

What is the penalty for opening your Christmas presents too early?

For one South Carolina 12-year-old, the penalty was arrest.

A Rock Hill, S.C., woman called police and asked them to arrest her son who opened a Christmas present early after being told not to, the Rock Hill Herald reported. Police went to the house and arrested the boy and charged him with petty larceny.

The paper reported that the boy's great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his present, which contained a Nintendo Game Boy Advance. It was wrapped and lying under the Christmas tree, the police report stated.

But on Sunday morning, the gift was unwrapped and the box was empty. So when the boy's mother found out, she alerted police, the paper reported.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," the 63-year-old great-grandmother told the Herald.

The women said that the boy lied to them at first, saying he was unaware of where the video game system was. After threat of calling the police, the boy apparently gave the toy back to his mother, the paper reported. But the upset mother called police anyway.

Two officers responded and charged the child as a juvenile with petty larceny, although he was not jailed.

The mother told the Herald that she didn't know what else to do with her son, so she called police. The paper reported she is a single mother and has been struggling with constant behavior problems from the boy. She said her son still showed no remorse when the police came.

"I'm trying to get him some kind of help," the 27-year-old mother told the paper. "He's the type of kid who doesn't believe anything until it happens."

She said he has shoplifted, stolen money from her, punched a police officer and is nearing expulsion from school. She told the paper that she hopes this arrest will be a wake-up call for her son, because she worries about getting a call someday telling her he's been killed.

The mother plans to have her son placed with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia at his court appearance, the Herald reported.

This seems really dumb. You would think that the parent would have had a better way to deal with the situation than to have him arrested. Couldn't the present just have been put away for some future year instead?

As for the other problems, it's obviously an ongoing think with this child, but to arrest him for opening the present seemed like the last straw. Probably more direct action should have been taken at some previous point.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:36 pm
I say shoot the little bastard.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:46 pm
All these dire problems and yet the family rewards the brat with a Game Boy and then wonders why they can't control the kid's behavior.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
It's hard to diagnose the causes for the family breakdown, but, based on what I read, I would take all of the kid's non essential belongings and get rid of them. He would have to earn a right to get any of it back.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:49 pm
That's probably the classical case where cute little Billy was spoiled rotten
until he became more and more demanding and less and less cute.
Later on, when little Billy is in his teens, the parents wonder why they
can't discipline him.

If you don't start early enough then you'll lose.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:54 pm
I have to agree with CJ on this. I suspect the parents were not consistent with some kind of discipline (saying 'No') early on.

I've seen the way some parents "handle" their children in stores and I can just see trouble down the road.

You can't keep up with the "demand-bribe" cycle. It doesn't work in the long-term. Besides, a child being brought up thusly, grows up into a lop-sided adult.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:42 pm
The mother is 27; the child is 12; mom was an immature 15 when she had him. Her grandmother, his great-grandmother is 63. I'm no math genius but there appears to be a pattern of very young moms in this family. Add an absent dad to the picture and it's not surprising that this young woman is having a hard time of it. I'm not saying young moms and/or single moms can't be good moms but when you're still a kid yourself it must be hard to buckle down and be a mother. It's often easier to give things than attention especially if you're the only parent and worn out. Sounds like the kid has been spoiled.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:46 pm
I agree, hopefully the game system was returned to the store or donated to another family because it would only do more damage if he gets to keep it. At least the mother acknowledges there is a problem with the kid and is trying something to get him help.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:51 pm
I agree with dys.

shoot him, problem solved.

next case.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Child Arrested After Opening Holiday Gift Early
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 04:29:01