Firms troubled by sick people in office

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:49 pm
Quote:
Firms troubled by sick people in office

Thu Nov 30, 7:54 AM ET

RIVERWOODS, Ill. - Are you the kind of employee who drags yourself to work no matter how lousy you're feeling? A survey by tax and business law information and software provider CCH says 56 percent of employers now report that "presenteeism," when sick employees show up for work, is a problem for them. Just 39 percent said that in a survey two years ago.

CCH says sick people reporting for work not only have a lower rate of productivity, but they pass their illness around to other workers and customers.

The survey also finds that more employers are taking steps to help overcome the rise in presenteeism. Sixty-two percent with presenteeism problems say they send sick employees home while another 46 percent educate employees on the importance of staying home when they are sick.

This is certainly a change from attitudes from some employers that discouraged sick days.

Now, these employees that are being sent home after showing up for work sick, will that be without pay? As much as I didn't like sick co-workers around me when I was at work, I wouldn't want to see them be sent home without pay.

My opinion is that there should be sick pay in place if you want sick employees to stay home when they should.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 898 • Replies: 4
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:56 pm
The current trend is to combine sick and vacation pay into one small pool. Naturally, people don't want to waste a vacation day on sickness.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:36 pm
About damned time! The only problem is that employers then put the squeeze on the middle managers with productivity quotas and absenteeism policies.

At my last job, people were afraid to stay home because of the warnings handed out by the manager for excessive absenteeism if you were out for more than two instances per quarter.

People would stay home one day then come back the next and infect everyone around them. Those that stayed home until well would return to work only to be reinfected by those who didn't stay home.

The manager would send people home with an admonishment about excessive absenteeism and regularly handed out warnings to people stating they would be fired if there were any more absences in the quarter.

It isn't the employee who needs to be educated on the importance of staying home while sick. Employees would love to feel secure enough in their jobs to be able to do so!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:47 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
It isn't the employee who needs to be educated on the importance of staying home while sick. Employees would love to feel secure enough in their jobs to be able to do so!

Agreed. I understand some abusing paid sick time, but there's got to be some happy medium that could be arranged.

Sending sick employees home, who came to work, without the benefit of some compensation doesn't sit well with me.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:24 pm
I think most employees, at least in corporate settings, are compensated. I don't know if that's true in the retail business. I guess it depends on how long you've worked there.

Actually, this is a pet peeve of mine. Just recently one of my co-workers had to drag themselves in, even though they were sick....and I mean noticeably sick.

This person sits right behind me, but I somehow managed to avoid getting infected. Another co-worker wasn't so lucky. She caught the sickie's "bug" and got a bad case of it. She had to take off for three days and was still sick over the Christmas holiday! (Of course, the original "sickie" was all better by Christmas.)

Man, if I had caught that bug and had to be sick over Christmas, I would have been soooo mad! Mad

It's true that when people come in sick, they aren't performing up to par, plus it takes them longer to get well. But the worst -- and most inconsiderate thing -- is that they infect the others around them.

All too often it doesn't have anything to do with them being compensated -- which they usually are -- it has to do with them proving how dedicated they are and making themselves look like a hero. Sheesh!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Firms troubled by sick people in office
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:30:42