Stick this in your eye!

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:08 pm
Okay, so I was just sitting here looking at a pencil -- a Scooby Doo pencil, as it happens, because I'm a very mature sort of person -- and the thought went through my brain, not even in words but just as a mild impulse: "I could jam this pencil right into my eye?"

What's up with that? Have you ever stood at the edge of a cliff and thought, "I could jump off this sucker"? Not as a dramatic suicidal thing, just as -- just because?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,376 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
Shocked Not pencils, but I've had such thoughts while driving cars, usually after 400 miles or so, but the "What would it be like to drive this thing over that embankment?" thought would pop up.

I'd stop for a diet Coke. Cool
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
Yep, that's the thought. Not something I share with my passengers, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 05:03 pm
only once with a bike. BUT, In my defense, it took a lot of chemistry, ethanol, and a rotting marriage to get me there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:27 pm
Yeah, I was looking at a computer and I siad "I bet I could make a site".
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:35 pm
Craven, LOL.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:42 pm
You think that's bad? I really got self-destructive when I said: "And I bet it could be an interactive community!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:49 pm
Thing with Craven is - he went ahead and did it. Mostly, people just entertain the thought.

Sobering thing when you let yourself ponder about how many people are thinking that very thing as they come toward you in their cars, though - and knowing that some of them are gonna be very depressed...

This is one of the reasons why thinking is so bad for you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:50 pm
Anyway, anyone who would commit suicide in such a mean way is a beast - imagine doing such a thing to some other poor person!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:50 pm
Damn Deb. Trying to ruin my Friday?

< at the time I had no idea that it would be like sticking a pencil in my eye and out the other >
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:54 pm
It's THAT bad?

\l/
)-< :=
/l\
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:01 pm
A similar fantasy to these is the one where, when one is young and eminently rassleable by police, one says what one has bubbling up in one's brain.

I had friends who did that - one of them, a naughty, drug-dealing, biker man, with heaps of mystique and one of the cleverest men I ever knew - but with a death wish - said, when pulled over on his Ducati in the middle of nowhere in country new South Wales (always known to have the most corrupt, meanest cops in Australia)
by a motor cycle cop (the meanest of the mean) and asked "Where's the fire?" - "In your eyes, Officer" , and batted the long lashes adorning his huge brown eyes seductively.

The results in terms of the look on the copper's face, he said, were ALMOST worth the painful beating in the little country lock-up that night, and the made-up charges in front of the magistrate the next day.

THAT is jumping off a cliff!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:01 pm
Yup. But it's really good sometimes too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:03 pm
Phew...like when you stop jamming the pencil in your eye, and such?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:03 pm
Yup.

"Why are you banging your head against the wall?"

And such.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:11 pm
Such stories are much better heard than lived, I think.

I often do the "what if I ran this car right into that tree" thing, too. Then I take a deep breath and smile because I suddenly appreciate life a little more.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:15 pm
I do! I think I've even had the pencil (not Scooby Doo) in the eye spasm. And the car into a tree or over a cliff spasm. But, usually it's more of a running leap belly flop onto the bed or a tackling the dog kind of spasm.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:17 pm
I must admit to being more the "if this magazine/newspaper was rolled up tightly enough, it would definitely classify as a weapon" kind of person, especially on the subway. Suckers....actually reading their newspapers rather than making them into weapons....oops, that's the feds at the door.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:22 pm
Cav, ha! I think that about icicles. "It would just melt..."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:35 pm
After a long day of skiing, my mind is full of such tumbling, twisting,
turning, jumping, ramp off, duck down, upside down, off the rock, between kind of thoughts...

that when I go out someplace like the video rental store
and see that wide expanse of carpet, two cartwheels long,
the rack against the side wall with a foothold five feet in the air
and the patch of clear space over the other rack just big enough
to land head-first, somersault, handspring up backwards to where
my friend is standing ....

ooh, the urge, the space itself, the compulsion, the visuals are so clear
that I really could...

(so I do!)

Shocked Well, once anyways. I wouldn't recommend it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Stick this in your eye!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 05:03:47