Lightbulb Moments

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:41 pm
I was rambling on a thread (not an uncommon occurrence) and mentioned a couple of lightbulb moments. This put me in mind of the first lightbulb moment I ever had that I can remember.

I was in first grade. We'd been learning the alphabet and word groups (cat, hat, mat, etc.) One morning the teacher asked me to stand and spell a word I'd never seen. It was like no other word we had learned. The word was "are."

I can remember my mind racing around what I knew, what I'd learned. And then it came to me. I could see the word--A-R-E. My brain filled with light. It was almost electrical. I actually went weak at the knees. It was at that moment that I realized I could read--make sense of the letters and sounds. Put them together. It was the strongest lightbulb moment I ever had. Truly electrically charged. Powerful. True light in my head.

I've had other lightbulb moments, some strong, some not so strong. Never as powerful as that.

What about you? Has your head ever lit up as if electrically charged. Enlightenment!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,790 • Replies: 50
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:59 pm
I don't know if it was enlightment, Boidy, but I remember being around 6 to 8 and for some reason contemplating how big the universe is, and then imagining that it must end somewhere and imaging a big brick wall at the end then thinking 'what's on the other side of the brick wall' and my brain doing loops thinking about the possibility of infinity.

Was I a weird kid?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:00 pm
Not lately. I've had mostly disappointment. Hopefully that is about to change.

Once in second grade I won the spelling bee with the word "business".

One time in college I was struggling on a midterm and finally went up and asked the geekfessor what the hell that ugly blob on his mimeograph was supposed to be. Once he explained it, I aced the exam. To this day I think he did that on purpose because he couldn't think up a better question.

I was skiing and took a jump, tried to do a flip, realized I wasn't gonna make it...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
hingehead wrote:
I don't know if it was enlightment, Boidy, but I remember being around 6 to 8 and for some reason contemplating how big the universe is, and then imagining that it must end somewhere and imaging a big brick wall at the end then thinking 'what's on the other side of the brick wall' and my brain doing loops thinking about the possibility of infinity.

Was I a weird kid?

oh God I did that too!!!

I didn't see a brick wall, but I thought as far out as I could, then went that much further, then that much further....All of a sudden I had to grip the sides of my bed.

Scary ****, that "forever" stuff.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:02 pm
Hingehead and Chai Tea, Contemplating the universe at such a tender age. I'm impressed. And, yes, the concept of infinite could scare the doody out of a person. Even now when I think about the universe I have to hold onto something.

cj, Hope you don't mind my calling you cj. Congrats on the spelling bee. And big ouch on the ski jump.

I'm talking about a light in my head. An actual real elecrically charged light that actually really lights up the inside of my head. What you guys are describing is enlightenment, but was there a light? Maybe I should get my head examined. Not psychiatrically, although that wouldn't be a bad idea. But physically. Why are lights going off in my head? Granted, these days the bulb is a lot dimmer, but it's still there.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:07 pm
That's funny, I had a realizing-the-hugeness-of-the-universe moment as a kid too. Must be the age for it.

I was on my back on a lawn, looking at the sky, and thinking of the fact that the earth was rotating-- and suddenly I got that it really was spinning, the other planets really were out there, the universe really just stretches on and on and on-- it was the first time stuff I'd read in science books actually seemed believable and true. I literally felt pressed down into the ground, as though I could feel the centrifugal force of the earth's motion. I think I've read that you have those sudden "I've got it" moments more as a kid.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
cyphercat, cyphercat! I'm having a lightbulb moment right now!

I can break any two people up!
Isn't that cool!!??

(don't mind me Roberta, I'm just drunk on the power)

But really, maybe we can form some kinda club...Former Kids Who Considered the Universe.

FKWCU
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:38 pm
I'll only join if we rearrange the words.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
cyphercat, I don't know whether lights went off in your head, but that was one doozy of a lightbulb moment. I got a chill thinking of you thinking of the universe and feeling centrifugal force holding you down.

Chai Tea, Thanks for the laugh outloud. Had to spell that one out. LOL just wouldn't cut it.

I can't recall contemplating the universe when I was a child. Maybe I didn't get to see much of the night sky, so nothing triggered my mind to it. But I do recall thinking about the infiniteness of time. My father took me to the Museum of Natural History. One look at those dinosaur bones, and I was hooked. Went from the museum to the library and got a bunch of books on dinosaurs. I remember thinking about how much a million years must be. How much time was there before the dinosaurs? How much time would there be after? Mind-boggling.

Infinity is mind-boggling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
I was about ten, and reading an article about a neolithic burial site in northern Iraq, in which the pollen of flowers had been found in a ring around the corpse, and careful examination revealed that flowers had been placed around the corpse at the time of burial.

It was at that point that it dawned on me that people tens of thousands of years ago were just as intelligent (or stupid) and just as perceptive (or dull-witted) as people are today--they simply had not yet accumulated as much knowledge as we now possess. I had a less glimmering "lightbulb moment" a few years later when i realized that so many people, educated adults included, continue to cherish a belief that people in the past were somehow "stupider" than we are now.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:02 pm
Set, Definitely a lightbulb moment. Once we humans became humans, we had the same capacity for learning--regardless of when we were alive. The difference now is that we have more knowledge, not more smarts.

Don't think you're gonna get away scot free with that "reading about neolithic burial sites in Iran" when you were ten comment. Holy moley! Was it a school assignment, or just something that interested you?

I sometimes think about that first human who figured out how to capture fire and use it productively. Someone had to be the first. That moment of great and startling realization. We can control this and use it. I think that cooking happened by accident. Something fell into the fire. Came out cooked, but still edible.

I wonder about a lot of firsts--going back to our beginnings. Who was the first to draw a painting on a cave wall? How did it come about? I wonder about how language evolved. I assume from simple nouns for the names of things. Then some verbs to express action. How the whole shmear got strung together, though, amazes me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:17 pm
Roberta wrote:
Don't think you're gonna get away scot free with that "reading about neolithic burial sites in Iran" when you were ten comment. Holy moley! Was it a school assignment, or just something that interested you?

National Geographic is kid's access to naked titties....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:16 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I'll only join if we rearrange the words.

um...how about Considering the Universe? Who? Former Kids!

CUWFK
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:29 pm
Former Universe-Considering Kids Who Initiate Topics
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:48 pm
hingehead wrote:
Former Universe-Considering Kids Who Initiate Topics

Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:54 pm
Former Universe Considsering Kids Highly Educated And Drunk
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:55 pm
I remember the time I was whittling a piece of wood and random thoughts were bouncing around in my head when suddenly, and with absolute clarity, I realized I knew the cure for cancer.

I haven't thought about that for a long time. I still have the cure written down somewhere around here.

I'll see if I can find it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:57 pm
You take the piece of sharp wood and commit hari kari. I'm surprised you forgot.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:58 pm
Quote:
I sometimes think about that first human who figured out how to capture fire and use it productively.

Homo-erectus. They were also the first ones to invent tools that they could use to chop things and to shovel.

It pays to watch the Discovery Channel!! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
It's too personal to describe. <smiles>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lightbulb Moments
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:31:11