Stealing Remotes And Other Nonsense

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:52 am
My daughter had a friend over while we were away, that that person brought two others that my daughter did not know.

Anyway, they stole two remote controls, one worth several hundred dollars. They returned them in the mailbox the next day, apparently after they got word of how much they were worth, and how pissed I was.

What is the purpose of doing stupid **** like this? Why not go knock over the school principal's mailbox or something?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 32
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:55 am
They probably were aware of how angry of a person you are and just did it to watch you turn red and start gesticulating wildly.

Didn't you do that kind of crap when you were a kid?

Or were you too busy shooting communists?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:03 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Didn't you do that kind of crap when you were a kid?

No.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:05 am
Yeah..... right.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:07 am
How old were these people? Often, young people, especially teenagers, feel that there is little under their control. They pull "pranks" to exercise what they consider some modicum of control over their environment. Because of their immaturity, they often do not comprehend, or even consider the ramifications of what they are doing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:09 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Yeah..... right.

Seriously, the only thing I ever stole was a candy bar and I went back and paid the guy for it the next day. My friends who pulled "theft" pranks all wound up doing time later in life. No thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:15 am
I'm old fashioned enough to contact the parents of the kids. Returned or not, they stole private property.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:16 am
I think cjsha wants to shoot the kids and is asking us for permission.

Well.... ok.... go for it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
But give the little bastards a running start.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
JPB wrote:
I'm old fashioned enough to contact the parents of the kids. Returned or not, they stole private property.

I agree with JPB. One of a thing that a child needs to learn is respect for other people's property, and that stealing is a no-no.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:19 am
I can't imagine if they had stolen one of cj's many guns. I'm sure he has 2 guns for every remote.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:21 am
That was my wife's thought as well. The problem is, we don't know these kids, so we have to trust second hand information on who they were. We don't want to make a mistake.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:21 am
Phoenix and J_B, the thought had never occured to me that we should teach our children that stealing is wrong.

Where do you come up with these ideas? I think you might be on to something here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:22 am
parados wrote:
I can't imagine if they had stolen one of cj's many guns. I'm sure he has 2 guns for every remote.

That is certainly a concern. There were none in the house at the time.

My gun/remote ratio is currently closer to 3. It varies.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:27 am
Considering the average number of remotes in a household is 8, that says something about your guns.

You sure you don't have any in the house right now? Did you check under the cushions?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:30 am
What the hell would anyone need 8 remotes for? The universals are so much more sophisticated now.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
parados wrote:
Did you check under the cushions?

Damn straight, I was looking for the !@#$%^& remotes! Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:34 am
cjhsa wrote:
That was my wife's thought as well. The problem is, we don't know these kids, so we have to trust second hand information on who they were. We don't want to make a mistake.

Again, I'm being old fashioned here. I hold my children responsible for the actions of any guest they have in the house, including guests of guests. Your daughter let the word out that all hell was about to break loose and the remotes were returned so she's done what she can do to right the wrong.

Do you know the friend? You might let her know how disappointed you are in the disrespect that was shown to your family. As an aside, we have a house rule that the kids are not allowed to have guests here that we don't know when we aren't home.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:34 am
snood wrote:
What the hell would anyone need 8 remotes for? The universals are so much more sophisticated now.

Funny you should mention that. I just got a new hi-def TV, so I have the cable remote, which can be programmed to cover many periphals, the TV remote and the DVD remote. One of these days, I will program the cable remote, to cover everything, but I DO find that there are some features on the TV remote that is not on the cable box remote.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:35 am
JPB wrote:
As an aside, we have a house rule that the kids are not allowed to have guests here that we don't know when we aren't home.

That is our rule as well. It got violated.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Stealing Remotes And Other Nonsense
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 06:22:15