Another Scam!

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 01:29 pm
Yes, another scam:

BestBuy Order #1095619. Fraud Alert.

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.

This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/17/2003. Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.

This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.

=====================================================================
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED

ITEMS PURCHASED
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in
providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed
to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve
the cause of the problem.

Don't fall for it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dov1953

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:37 am
What kind of crap is this? This site is for questions or discussions. Unless this is a scam or a joke. Very poor tast either way.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:55 am
dov, this is a warning about a scam.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:21 am
bermbits, I also received a email from BestBuy, but knew it was a scam, because I have never bought anything from them. We don't have a BestBuy in our neighborhood, and I never purchased anything on line. c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:25 am
And I received THIS from BestBuy. I had posted it on A2K, but I don't remember where! Embarrassed

Quote:
IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've opted out of Best Buy promotional e-mails, don't worry: you haven't been signed up again. We just wanted to make sure you knew about this situation, regardless of whether you receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. You will NOT continue to receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. Thank you.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
I apologize for my earlier words. I'm a dumb-ass. Embarrassed
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:13 pm
Hey, Dov - no problem. Thanks.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:24 pm
Bermbits:

You would have caught this charge on your monthly statement from the credit card company. Fraud on the credit card is usually detected by a sudden lack of consistency. For example, if for 2 years, you've used your card to buy food at the store, and suddenly you buy a mink coat worth much $$, this should send up a red flag to the company...
0 Replies