Gifts for Grandpas

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:54 pm
I suck at gift giving for men. I just never know what the heck to get them. Grandmas, mom, MIL...easy peasy. Dad, grandpas, FIL...ugh, nightmares.

We are on a really REALLY tight budget this year. Any low cost, not cheap suggestions on what to get the grandpas?

No goodies and junk like that. Both are on restricted diets and whatnot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,045 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:11 pm
Do they have any hobbies? I am thinking in terms of a box of golf balls, a personalized set of playing cards, or something else connected with a hobby. I think that will get what I am driving at. You can get a man something that shows that you care, without breaking the bank.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:15 pm
Neither golf or really play cards.

Both have pretty much had to give up hobbies due to declining health.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:16 pm
How old are the Grandpas?

~~~~~~~

I'd try to think of something that won't result in lasting clutter - can be used up - movie passes - gym passes - gift certificate to a nice healthy restaurant. Tucked into a nice card with a photo of their grand-daughter/son and great-granddog.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:19 pm
What about a cool pocket knife? Even if they already have one, guys always appreciate another pocket knife.

Maybe some sunglasses. I'm always scratching, sitting on or misplacing mine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:21 pm
Massage gift certificates.

Anyone , in a lot of pain due to health problems will benefit, and enjoy a good massage.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:22 pm
ehBeth wrote:
with a photo of their grand-daughter/son and great-granddog.

baby isntborn yet..
but she is working on it.

oh ****

did i say that out loud?? :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:27 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
with a photo of their grand-daughter/son and great-granddog.

baby isnt born yet..

errrrrr I'm referring to Bella as the grand-daughter.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
I know...

I was just trying to slip something under the rug..

heh. Im not too good at that.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
Comfy house slippers.

Cosy flannels.

Magazine subscription for Time, National Geographic, or related to specific interests.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:58 pm
Is there a project that needs to be done in grandpa's house? How about a beautifully made "gift certificate" good for cleaning out the garage, fixing something, or anything else that needs to be done in the house that grandpa finds difficult doing. It would cost you nothing but sweat, and would really be a personalized gift of love.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:16 pm
squinney wrote:
Comfy house slippers.

Cosy flannels.

Magazine subscription for Time, National Geographic, or related to specific interests.

I like the magazine idea!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:27 pm
Oooh, here's another idea.

Check out the gift card club.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:38 pm
Mr. Noddy got a fleecy top (sort of a dressy sweat shirt with front zipper) for his birthday in October and he objects when I put it in the washer.

I've managed to wash it twice.

Mr. Noddy is also keeping his paws off the thermostat controls.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:33 am
CDs of the old radio shows. My FIL loves the ones we've given him.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:40 am
When I'm listening to NPR in the car I hate getting to my destination when "A Prarie Home Companion" is playing. I looked for that the other day for my Dad and found a nice boxed set at Barnes and Noble.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:42 am
I'm a grandpa. Squinney, please tell Jeffrey I'd like the latest Judas Priest dvd box set.......
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:16 am
I guess he'll just have to return that Vivid Video sampler pack.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
All my grandparents are gone, but we did something once that turned out to be a wonderful thing. One year (around 1975) we gave each of my grandparents a nice blank book and asked them to write the story of their childhood or favorite memories. Wow, the stuff we learned! My nieces and nephews have all read these journals and loved them, none of them knew their great grandparents in person. Some of the stories were heartbreaking, others were extremely funny. It gave us all insight into our roots.

If I was to do this today I would include questions like: How did you and grandma (or pa) meet?, How did you court each other? What do you remember about your parents?, What was your earliest childhood memory? How did you end up picking your profession? Experiences during wars? Would you change anything about your life? Any regrets? Any especially good decisions? What's the most important thing you have learned?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:27 am
We got one of those (Dark freen leather bound with gold page edges) for Bear's Aunt Natalie about ten years ago. It had places for pictures on some pages, notation of military service, wedding highlights, as well as all sorts of things that would trigger writing about things one may not otherwise include in their life story.

I think I got it at Borders.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gifts for Grandpas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:40:30