Music debate

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:08 pm
Does anyone want to have an actual proper debate about music.
I mean someone who knows what they are talking about :wink:
No bullshit!
pq xxxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 37
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:38 pm
Well PQ you have to tell me what the topic is and which way you're arguing (a debate being two opposing opinions taking turns presenting arguments and demolishing the arguments presented). You pick the topic and I'll let you know whether I think I'm up to it.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:44 pm
Which composers are good, which are bad, what you like what you don't like etc.

But most people on here only know about popular music.
I should have said that this debate would be about classical music.
Or music composition and performance.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:48 pm
There are few classical music buffs that frequent this forum, but not too many performers. Is there something you'd like to talk about? Post a specific question and I'm sure you'll get some bites.

While I do own a bit of classical and have a potted history with it I don't think I'll be up to your speed. Sorry.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 05:21 pm
One never knows until one tries! Go ahead and post a question, and see what happens. I've tried a few times to get discussions going about classical music, without much success. Maybe you'll have more luck than I did...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
I can be controversial!

I don't like Chopin - his pieces sound like keyboard exercises, more about the dexterity of the pianist and less about evoking an emotion through music.

Please shoot me down in flames.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:08 pm
Hey, I'm not a big Chopin fan either. We can burn together. Laughing
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
I have my Chopin phases. The technical displays can get tiresome, it's true, especially with certain performers. (Listening to Pollini play the Etudes can put me to sleep, primarily because it sounds like Pollini himself is asleep...) When I'm going through a pro-Chopin phase, it's because of his wild harmonies rather than the virtuosity (though that can be impressive too!) or the melodies.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:21 pm
If Mozart were alive today he would be the frontman for Metallica.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:31 pm
My two favorite classic composers are still Erik Satie and Claude Debussy.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:34 pm
No he wouldn't. All the bands he was in had 'The' in the name. And besides, his voice was contralto, so he would have been in some effeminate hair band.

Sheesh. Metallica with keyboards. As if.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:32 am
Lol, ok.
As for chopin, some of his pieces were intended to be exersices, but i don't know how you could say that about pieces such as waltz pollionaise.
Chopin has to be recognised in musical history for taking chromaticism further, and not in the schuman kind of way.

Ok, Im not a genius myself.
My favorite composers also include Debussy and Eric Satie.
why is this butterfly?

I shall post a question later.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:03 am
Quote:
My favorite composers also include Debussy and Eric Satie.
why is this butterfly?

I think it is because they both have a dance (ballet) quality about many of their compositions. They tend to paint a picture with musical tones.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 04:36 pm
I have a soft spot for Satie, I read a book on ambient, instrumental and he is nominated as a founding father.

While trying to find the title of that book I tracked down another that starts the history of ambient with Debussy.

Very interesting.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 04:56 pm
I'd be interested to know which Debussy pieces the book cites as precursors to ambient music. Most of the works that strike me as describe-able in ambient terms (like the piano music from the 1890s) come slightly after the corresponding Satie pieces I can think of (like the Sarabandes, which are from the late 1880s). Of course, Debussy had the advantage of being well-known, at least among certain musical circles. Satie was still an absolute nobody.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:09 pm
Thats really interesting, I can see perhaps with satie how it might originate, but not with debussy.
I would need to know more about ambient music to see how they relate.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:10 pm
Perhaps it is the minimalist influence?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:18 pm
Here's the link to the book on Amazon - which, by the way, made The Oberserver's 50 Greatest Music Books Ever list this year.

I think the minimalist call is good, but I'm a lot more familiar with Satie than I am with Debussy.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:26 pm
You like minimalism?
Debbusy was'nt minimalist.
Satie wasn't either really, but he influenced what became minimalist.
Main minimalism occurred in the 1960's with Riech and Glass.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:58 pm
Like I said I'm not familiar with Debussy, but pieces like Satie's Gymnopedies seem minimalist to me (I've never formally studied music, just read way too much). Phil Glass's stuff is less minimalist in a sense - it can be so dense, if repetitious. I loved Koyaanisqatsi (saw the movie bought the album - saw him perform it live at the Sydney Opera House in 2000).

That organ just transports me. I honestly get shivers up my spine just thinking about it....
0 Replies