Why would the artist do this?

kev

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:58 am
I enquired recently about a 1965 song by the Aussie band "The Seekers" and their record "The Carnival is over" however, when you google this set of lyrics every site tells you that the artist has forbidden anyone from printing the lyrics.

Since the song is a timeless classic about a piece of french literature, why would the artist not want the public to be able to read the lyric?

I don't get it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 878 • Replies: 14
No top replies

happycat

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
don't know...I didn't find that to be the case - click on the song title

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricss/seekers.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
A couple of sites list that song - some only the original version, you can compare it even to the album "Into The Labyrinth" (Track 04, 1993) / 2005 Tour program book, eg. via this side
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:26 am
Walter - that's a completely different song.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
Embarrassed

Right, I really wondered whe I saw the dates

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
I'm not sure about Australian copyright laws, but in the United States there was a brief move to outlaw any unauthorized websites (like unofficial "fan pages" or whatever) that printed song lyrics because that stuff is technically copyrighted material. Music publishers (the people who own the copyrights to music) didn't see a difference between distributing lyrics and distributing bootleg recordings of albums.

I'm not exactly sure what the status of the internet law is now. I know that banning internet sites from posting lyrics has been woefully unsuccessful, so it may be that the law is still being modified and debated, or has been given up on completely.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
Re: Why would the artist do this?
kev wrote:
I enquired recently about a 1965 song by the Aussie band "The Seekers" and their record "The Carnival is over" however, when you google this set of lyrics every site tells you that the artist has forbidden anyone from printing the lyrics.

Since the song is a timeless classic about a piece of french literature, why would the artist not want the public to be able to read the lyric?

I don't get it.

I find it hard to believe that any artist from the 1960s actually holds publishing rights for their own songs.

Say goodbye my own true lover
As we sing a lovers song
How it breaks my heart to leave you
Now the carnival is gone
High above the dawn is waiting
And my tears are falling rain
For the carnival is over
We may never meet again

Like a drum my heart was beating
And your kiss was sweet as wine
But the joys of love are fleeting
For Pierrot and Columbine
Now the harbour light is calling
This will be our last goodbye
Though the carnival is over
I will love you till I die

Like a drum my heart was beating
And your kiss was sweet as wine
But the joys of love are fleeting
For Pierrot and Columbine
Now the harbour light is calling
This will be our last goodbye

I wonder if the Seekers will beat up the hamsters now?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
hinge, interesting irony with Walter and your avatar.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:43 pm
Yeeesssss. I think Walter's got obsessive since he found out about my German heritage. :wink:
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm
hingehead wrote:
kev wrote:

I don't get it.

I find it hard to believe that any artist from the 1960s actually holds publishing rights for their own songs.

Why do you find it hard to believe Hingehead, I thought that copyright lasted for the duration of the authors life?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
The copyright term for sound recordings now is 50 years; the music industry wants to extend it to 95 years.

An interesting Times report.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:54 pm
Thanks for that Walter I'll try and think that through
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
kev wrote:
hingehead wrote:
kev wrote:

I don't get it.

Why do you find it hard to believe Hingehead, I thought that copyright lasted for the duration of the authors life?

Hi Kev

Copyright takes many forms, of which publishing is just one. The music publishing industry (once the major money earner in the industry) has a long history of acquiring publishing rights from artists for a fixed fee.

Did you know that Michael Jackson owned the publishing rights of the Beatles?

Other forms include the recorded song (often a royalty arrangement between a record company and the artist).

A performance royalty (in Belgium the venue owner pays a royalty on the songs a cover band plays - or so I was told by an arranger from there in the mid 1980s).

A broadcast royalty (payed by radio stations and even by companies that have 'on hold' music or elevator music).

What the artist can't sell is 'moral rights' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:05 am
Hingehead after reading this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights

I agree with the Paul Sorvino character in the film "The Firm" when he said "all feckin lawyers should be killed" Sad
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:17 am
To the lawyers on this site that was meant lightheartedly Very Happy
0 Replies