Ruth Brown Dead

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:29 pm
R&B Star Ruth Brown Dies

Ruth Brown, whose recordings of "Teardrops in My Eyes," "5-10-15 Hours" and "(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean" shot her to rhythm-and-blues stardom in the 1950s, has died. She was 78.

Brown, who later in life won a Grammy and a Tony, died Friday of complications from a stroke and heart attack at a Las Vegas-area hospital, said Lindajo Loftus, a publicist for the Rhythm & Blues Foundation, which Brown helped establish.

Surprised nobody noted her passing. - edgarblythe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 554 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:42 am
She also played Motormouth Mabel in the John Waters film, Hairspray. See http://www.rhythmandtheblues.org.uk/artists/ruthbrown.shtml for more information on her. I'm kinda surprised this inductee into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame didn't generate more interest on A2K at the time of her passing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:47 am
Not just R&B, Ruth Brown was equally well-known as a straight blues artist. Her music is frequently heard on some of the radio shows I listen to She will be missed. Thank you for sharing that information, edgar. I hadn't seen it anywhere else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:12 pm
I was only familiar with her from the songs she recorded in the fifties. That was enough to put her in my hall of fame.
0 Replies