MSN Explorer manual

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:16 am
Does anyone know if there is a manual for MSN? I keep having difficulty with perfectly ordinary stuff, and it takes 2 or 3 days to get answers from MSN Support - and they don't always answer the question! (Not to mention the unfamiliarity with English...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,968 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:08 pm
Hmm, I noticed that there is little online documentation for MSN Explorer or MSN.

The browser is probably very similar to IE (I say probably because I'd not be caught dead using an ISP that has it's own browser).

This is what I've been able to find:

MSN Online Technical Support

http://msntech.webhelp.com/msntech/

MSN Support

http://support.msn.com/

MSN Explorer Help

http://explorer.msn.com/setuphelp.htm

It's admittedly not much help. But if you ahve any questions and MSN is lagging in their tech support ask 'em here and I'll try to answer them before they do (not like beating MS techs is hard).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:17 pm
MSN manual
Thanks, Craven, and I'm taking advantage of your offer of help right this very minute!

Somehow all the mail I received this afternoon got into the MSN email Trash Barrel - all 101 of it! (This is the first spam I've received since the Big Switch, and it snowed me completely.) Unfortunately, this included some important and legitamate stuff, so I had to walk very warily through deletion after deletion. What I don't know is how to send things to the Trash. There's a button for Junk, but how do I handle the Trash - sending thngs to it, and then emptying it out altogether?

I know I sound like a ditherer, but I'm seriously considering switching to my backup browser, Opera. That's the trouble with having dealt with Nanny AOL all hese years - freedom and adulthood are very confusing Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:27 pm
msn.com
I've been quite busy.

First of all let me recommend 2 things.

A) use a mail reader like Outlook or Outlook Express

B) Do not use the email address provided to you by your ISP.

The reasons for both are to give you more ease of use and more control over your email address. You would not have to learn it all over again every time you switch ISPs and most importantly you would not have to keep changing your address.

I can help you with that if you wish but first let's go back to your question.

You can probably find a check box near each message. Then you will probably see an option (usually at the bottom of the column of check boxes) to move those emails to the trash or to delete them.

I am basing this entirely on the general layout of webmail applications as I have not ever used MSN (and would like to stay that way).

As to emptying your trash there's probably a button or link somewhere. But then again it's possible that the trash folder is periodically emptied.

Please tell me if you are using MSN hotmail.

If so I'll join and figure it out.

As to your emails being deleted:

MSN Support wrote:
To check your Mail Handling settings

To the right of the Contacts tab, click Options.
On the Options page, under Mail Handling, click Junk Mail Filter and Custom Filters and confirm your settings.
Note If you receive reminders through Hotmail, and you have set your filter to Exclusive, you will need to add yourself to your own Contacts list. Otherwise, all your reminders will be sent directly to your Junk Mail folder.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:32 pm
MSN Exploreer manual
Hi Craven!

I'm now set up with Outlook Express. If (or when) I decide that MSN is not for me, (AT&T has a very attractive monthly rate right now) I assume I can continue to use OE for my email. Right?

As for your Hotmail question, it's been explained to me that MSN uses Hotmail facilities, even if I don't directly use Hotmail. Rolling Eyes

I was a bit hard on MSN I think, because i have found that quite a lot of help is available online in chat form with MSN support. However, that is time consuming, and not a decent replacement for a manual that can be conveniently flipped through. Computers ain't gonna replace the written page in my book.

The Trash can problem is also solved. Now I have to set up the junk mail filters.

I see your point about not using the same ISP and browser - it's more than a bit incestuous.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:45 pm
Re: MSN Exploreer manual
Tomkitten wrote:
Hi Craven!

I'm now set up with Outlook Express. If (or when) I decide that MSN is not for me, (AT&T has a very attractive monthly rate right now) I assume I can continue to use OE for my email. Right?....

Yes. You can use OE for most forms of email. All you need to do is add the account.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:50 pm
Re: MSN Exploreer manual
Tomkitten wrote:
I assume I can continue to use OE for my email. Right?

It depends. If you pay for your email when you stop paying you lose it as a general rule. This is why I recommend that you use a reliable free service for your email instead of your ISP option.

That way you can change ISPs all you want and you would still retain the same address.

There are downsides to free email (reduced storage capacity, sometimes OE access is not allowed, some require you to keep it active).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:53 pm
MSN Manual
Craven - What would be a reliable free email service? Can you give me a few names?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 06:35 pm
Well, reliable is the key word. Many good free email services have come and gone but only two pass my very strict criteria.

Yahoo and hotmail.

Yahoo's webmail system is better (IMO) but hotmail allows access through Outlook or OE and yahoo does not allow such access with their free version.

Please note that in the last two years, after the IT bubble popped, free services have taken a blow.

While there used to be many services I'd rate as likely to be around in 5 years right now Yahoo and Hotmail are the only free services I recommend. Despite their drawbacks.

NOTE: there is another paid option which is to buy a domain name ($8 a year) and hosting (for just email you can get it for about $5 a month) and have your own address like this: [email protected]

I don't recommend this to you unless you want your own site etc.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:25 pm
MSN Manual
OK, I'm all organized with Outlook Express, and my email address ends in msn.com. But I'm still confused - if I use Hotmail then my email address has to change, no? Where does OE fit into the picture if I have OE and Hotmail or Yahoo? Or is it needed at all? Confused Confused Confused

Let me tell you, this arrival in the adult world has its problems, no question. I'm not exactly missing AOL, but I am not yet secure in the larger world. Not by a long shot!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
If you decide to sue hotmail then yes your email address changes.

Ideally you would use Outlook Express (or another email reader) with any email address you sue.

It's much better than webmail.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
sue = use
0 Replies