Do you ever feel proud for things you didn't do?

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
Do you feel proud if a friend of yours does something out of the ordinary and gets noticed and praised for it?

Do you feel proud if your fellow countrymen/women do well or win an international sports competition?

Do you feel proud knowing that your parents came from a poor background and they made their living well enough that you didn't have to live the same things they did?

I do. I'm just not sure it's logical.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 24
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:59 pm
I'm proud I've never voted for the current Australian government and that I've never been in a fight - is that the same sort of thing?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
Well, right now I'm feeling proud of Pantalones for his unselfish pride in others.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:12 pm
Re: Do you ever feel proud for things you didn't do?
Pantalones wrote:
Do you feel proud if a friend of yours does something out of the ordinary and gets noticed and praised for it?

Do you feel proud if your fellow countrymen/women do well or win an international sports competition?

Do you feel proud knowing that your parents came from a poor background and they made their living well enough that you didn't have to live the same things they did?

I do. I'm just not sure it's logical.

Yes of course! I am proud of my friends personal and professional
achievements. I also felt pride in how the Germans conducted themselves during the last world cup, not to forget the German soccer team.

Plus, I've always been proud of my parents who enabled us kids to
grow up in a loving and caring family that gave us such a solid foundation for life.

Then I am immensely proud of my daughter, especially when she's
getting recognition from her peers and in her academic achievements.

I am also proud.......ah, the list can go on and on Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:30 pm
Lots of **** in this world is illogical. But that's what makes it so great. Being illogical is way more fun than being logical.

Be proud of whoever and whatever you want.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
I'm really not sure I'm proud of anything. I think I'd be happy for a friend to achieve, but not actually proud hhmmmm. So I guess in my case, Pantalones, no I don't get proud of others achievements.

I'm happy when a national team does well, but not 'proud'. Think I'll go get a dictionary and really exam just what pride is...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:12 pm
Lessee...

I tend to root for teams that I adopt for different reasons. I have more often than not rooted for the team NOT in my city, because by then I'd be sick of hearing about it/them, and often not in my country. It's hard for me to watch the Olympics, or was, since I've stopped, on US television, since, at least when I watched, it was a blanket of jingoism, and apparently affected schedules for the rest of the world and the athletes themselves. Ick.

I've friends and acquaintances I really like who have done some neat things. For example, a neighborhood pal just won as secretary of state in California. I had nothing to do with that, except as an early supporter years ago, but I know her to be really savvy and for matters I agree with. I'm mostly just happy about it, but there's some pride there too, despite my having nothing to do with her accomplishment.

I've another friend - sort of a stretch, a best friend of one of my closest friends - who was re-elected assembywoman in my old district. I'm absolutely proud of her/to know her.

I'm proud of my niece. I know her and what she has been through and am full of admiration and concern and hope. Am absolutely proud of her. I had something to do with her turning out well, but she's had something to do with making me feel loved and useful.

There are people I've been proud to work with, a variety of male bosses or associates, and I'm still glad about that. That those are male is a function of how things used to be in accademia and business, but in all those instances, those guys knew a lot more than I did about medicine and landcape architecture and were good people besides their accomplishments.

So, do I equate accomplishment with proud? No, in fact sometimes the opposite. I have a kind of pride regarding the downs of my father's life as well as his good and interesting days - a pride in his humanity and struggle to make sense of everything, his good heart.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:14 pm
I am proud to be alive.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:16 pm
Were you tempted by the alternative, Gus?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I am proud to be alive.

Pride goeth before a fall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:22 pm
Keep on truckin', Gus...

I don't know if my idea of pride fits with any dictionary's. It is a sense of connection to the steps someone made, even if I, by being alive and ticking, was not any direct cause.

It's slightly more than just being happy for these other people - which I think of as a little dissociated. And it's not that I feed off of other people for their glow. Dunno. A boost of confidence in life from their humanity, which in some cases I know fairly well?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:24 pm
I'm pleased and happy for other people and their accomplishments, but I don't feel any personal pride in that. I feel like it would take away from their guts and glory.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:27 pm
Whereas I don't.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:35 pm
I treasure reasons to appreciate the world that surrounds me.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm pleased and happy for other people and their accomplishments, but I don't feel any personal pride in that. I feel like it would take away from their guts and glory.

Whew. I thought I was the only weirdo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:03 pm
Glad to be weird with you, hingehead Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:09 pm
In some of the cites of my so called pride, I did have a little to do with events but not much relative to the efforts of the person.

Re sports folks, not at all.

With people in real life, I don't think a sense of connection is nothing. Obviously that can be overblown and turn to craziness. But at a basic level, I think connectivity matters, and what you feel by it can be described as pride (ok, sometimes disgust) or any other word.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:36 pm
Oh Brave New World that hast such people in it.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:43 pm
I'm proudest of my mother, who was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago but you'd never know if you'd see her now.

I'm also ashamed by things others do sometimes, even my mother.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
I love to bask in reflected glory.
So warm, so comforting, so little effort.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you ever feel proud for things you didn't do?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:58:35