I THINK I'M ABOUT TO RENEW SOMETHING! - Most annoying.

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:19 am
I've just worked out that I've had my "main" TV for over 19 years, and it's been absolutely perfect up until about a week ago, when it suddenly started giving everything a bright green tinge most of the time.

I'm now in a situation where I'm being forced into buying a new one, and will probably get it later on today.

Thinking about it, I've not had to replace much at all over quite a period of time. <touches wood furiously, likes the sensation and does it again>

My freezer is at least 15 years old and works brilliantly, my car, which has every mod con that I need and goes like sh*t off a shovel, is now ten years old and I wouldn't dream of changing it unless I had to, and even stuff like the lawn mower, tumble dryer and fridge are coming into double figures.

I may now be an official grumpy old git, but I hate the idea of changing something that works perfectly well, just because there's a new one on the market.

Is there anyone else out there who's like this?

If so, what's the oldest, most reliable thing you possess?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:21 am
My fridge must be 12 years old now. It runs perfectly and doesn't make a sound.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:27 am
I change my car every 3 years or so
I change my TV, stereos every 3 years or so
My kitchen appliances are over 5 years old, and touchwood are working pretty well, so they will continue till they die
I change my lover every week or so.

Hang on, you did not mean to ask that that did you?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:46 am
My well pump is over 20 years old. I put in a JAcuzzi with a custom Johnson screen and and I replace the filter screen about every 3 years whether it needs it or not. I also replace the check valve at my water tank so I dont build up any unneeded headpressures on the pump. Keeping it running at a low level of friction and pressure , sustains it quite well. Most pumps last for 10 or so years and Im certain its because they make em flimsy to be able to sell more pumps.

My roto-tiller should be in a farm implement museum . I dont even use it any more but keep it running just for show. I was trying to get a "roto-tiller competition racing team" for our annual Halloween and Forth of July festivals. No interest
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:47 am
The funny thing about my car is, when I saw the advert in the paper, I honestly thought they'd made a printing error. It was advertised at £9k, and the cheapest one of the same model that I'd seen was at least £12k anywhere else (and I'd been looking a long time).

When I got there, after a very long drive to the showrooms, they told me that the £9k price was correct, but only if I took out their exhorbitantly high interest finance on it. "It's all there quite clearly in the advert" the manager told me. I wanted to pay cash (well, cheque actually) so I told them that I didn't need their finance.

I had the paper with me, and went back outside to study it carefully......nope, no mention of finance, so I went back in to complain. He then realised that he had omitted the finance bit on the advert, and apologised for me wasting my time on the long drive.

However, he refused to sell it at the advertised price, so I told him that I would stand out on the pavement and tell any prospective customer what a rip off joint it was. It was a very busy showroom, and within the space of ten minutes or so, I'd "advised" quite a few people with regards to what had happened to me.

The manager then came out, with one of the biggest mechanics I'd ever seen, and tried to move me on, but I told him that as I was on a public pavement, if he or the gorilla laid one finger on me, I would have him for assault. My son was shuffling about nearbly, totally embarrassed, but would obviously be a witness to anything they tried to do.

They went back inside, and came back out about 15 minutes (and many more prospective customers) later, agreeing to sell me it at the price they had purchased it for.....he was determined not to make a loss on the vehicle.
He showed me his purchase slip, proving that he had paid £9300 for it, BEFORE he had spent time on servicing it and doing a full valet, both inside and out.

I realised that he wouldn't budge on this (matter of honour, I think), so I shook hands on the £9300, and paid a deposit, making sure my receipt clearly stated the advertised selling price.

To make sure there were no further complications, I went and got a proper bankers draft straight away, and took possession that evening.

When I took it to my mechanic, he looked it over and said that he could easily sell it on for at least £11k the following day!

Ain't it great to get one over on a car showroom!

I think that this is one of the main reasons I've held onto it for so long....happy memories, and all that.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:52 am
the prince wrote:

I change my lover every week or so...........

Ah, but how old and reliable are they? Wouldn't you prefer one that just went on and on?

FM...you sound like a man after my own heart, if that doesn't sound too gay.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:56 am
I have a tv that is the size of a bus, I swear its from the 80's.
It works fine but I hear we are supposed to swop to digital(or something)at some point soon!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:57 am
material girl wrote:
I have a tv that is the size of a bus, I swear its from the 80's.
It works fine but I hear we are supposed to swop to digital(or something)at some point soon!

No MG...you just need to get a little "digibox" that feeds it with a digital signal. They cost about £20 or so from Currys etc?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:02 am
My 19" Zenith TV was bought in 1987. It worked perfectly. I never had a bit of a problem with it. Just last week, I traded her in for a 32 inch HD. I felt terribly disloyal about discarding something that was perfectly fine, and had given me many years of pleasure. I felt a little better about it, when I offered it to my shrub man, who seemed very happy to take it. I hope that he takes good care of it! Sad

I have had two "Gilhoolies" since 1960. For those not in the know, a Gilhoolie is a gadget that opens jars. I have not seen anything like it, before or since. (It is nothing like the usual jar openers that you see around today). The older that I get, and the more my arthritis kicks up, the more that I appreciate those things!

I don't believe it! I googled "Gilhoolie", and found that they are still around. I have not seen one in decades.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=30273&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=gilhoolie
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:12 am
Everything I have tends to be old. I have kept an RCA console television that has to be nearly 30 years old, simply because it still works very well. I don't watch it, though. I have a Sanyo, which is somewhat newer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:18 am
When I was a wee lass scrabbling about on the kitchen floor, I experienced great joy playing with a colander, which I stuck on my head and banged with a wooden spoon. I think my mother had received it as a wedding gift 15 years before.

When I left for college, I hid "Collie" under my drivers seat and took him with me.

When I was about 45, Collie and I were draining some navy beans, and.....and.....(hold on, I'll be ok in a sec.......) a piece of the bottem of Collie fell out!

I was undone......I was forced to buy a new colander.....this one is much heavier than Collie was, so I'm thinking I'll take "Full o' Holes" to my grave.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:34 am
farmerman wrote:
My well pump is over 20 years old. I put in a JAcuzzi with a custom Johnson screen

Ok...a "Johnson" is your willy, right?

You have a special screen made just to hide your willy when you're in the spa?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

It has to be attached to YOU, not the spa, right? Otherwise, if you moved, it would no longer screen your Johnson?

So...this thing is expandable? The screen, not the Johnson, I KNOW the Johnson is expandable.....

You are a an amazing man, FM. An amazing man.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:43 am
My 18 year old Sears Craftsman table saw motor went out last year. It was a 5 hp motor that could cut up a body like it was a piece of custard pie. Couldnt fix the motor without spending big bucks, so I went out and got a new Grizzly table saw with a 5 1/2" cut..
These Chinese brands, like Grizzly are made to break after about 10 years , but the relacement motors are only 1/10 the price of the franklin or GE motors. (Most of which are also made in China)

I betcha we have the oldest microwave. It even says "Radar range" on it. Should I contact the Smithsonian?, I do notice that it doesnt have the face browning , capacity it used to have. This sucker used to boil water in the other rooms.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:48 am
Why do you need a pump for your johnson?

Quote:
This sucker used to boil water in the other rooms.

ah now I understand!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:49 am
Rabbit, are we drinking the fermented dew again?

If I have to explain, your entire post then becomes no longer cute and fuzzy , so I shall not explain except to say that Johnsons mean other than Willys in the US, and, in the US, willy is a rather fay word. We use more ethnic terms like "schlong" or "dorken"

Carry on.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:59 am
I think that a Johnson screen would be every woman's ideal addition to the bathroom, as it may stop us buggers from missing, by deflecting it back into the bowl.

I'm gonna take out a patent!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:05 am
I still have the 19 inch Sony TV my mother gave me when i was a teenager. ( late 80's)

SHE had that thing for .. 6? maybe 7 years before it came into my possession.

I just said goodbye to it about 3 months ago when we moved in here.
We just dont have the floor space for that bulky tv, nor a stand that would hold it.

Traded it for a nice flat screen that is mounted on the wall.
The flat screen , I can almost guarantee you, will NOT last as long as that tv

(sigh)

The oldest most reliable thing I have right now though, is my hubby..

( hes an old fart.. )
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:20 am
The last telly I owned was a 12" sony I bought in the 70's but when the Lady Diane and I moved to Albaturkey we bought a 30" flat-screen HD which we put in a small corner of our livingroom. I do worry about our water heater and furnace because they are both over 20 yrs old. They will remain until they no longer do their job. My Porsche is 17 years old but continues to run like clockwork, my Toyota truck is 7 years old and will, no doubt, out live me. I would like new windows for the house but I can't afford them. But those sheets, those 600 count sheets kill my budget.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Way to go, Lord E. Keep standing your ground.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:39 am
I bought my first microwave oven in 1983. It worked efficiently for 22 years and finally gave out in 2005. They don't make anything like they used to.

When my grandfather died, we took his ten year old 19" TV for the extra bedroom. It continued to work another 13 years after that, and it would occasionally turn itself on in the middle of the night...I am still hoping that was caused by old faulty connections.
0 Replies