How many teeth do you have left?

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:57 pm
I'm down to seven. I was just reading something Calamity Jane had written and suddenly I started getting a headache. I didn't think much of the pain at first because Jane usually gives me a headache, but then I realized it wasn't really a headache after all, but rather a toothache.

I slammed down a few shots of whiskey to deaden the pain, but this was a bad one and I was starting to lose my ability to think so I walked into the tool room, pulled a needle-nosed vice grips from the middle drawer of my tool chest, clamped on to the offending tooth and yanked that son of a bitch out of my head.

Damn! Felt good.

So now here I am, typing this crap, toothache gone, but blood pooling in my mouth and every once in a while I have to spit some of the blood on the carpet. Fortunately, my dog licks the blood up right away and saves me the expense of carpet spotting chemicals.

But, back to the question: How many teeth do you have left?

More than seven?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,094 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:02 pm
When I was down to 16, I let the butcher who calls himself a dentist yank 'em all. These new dentures are the greatest invention since the iron lung. BTW, did you ever read John Lennon's In his own write? Or, that other one A Spaniard in the works? There's a great little skit in one of those books about a woman at the dentist's. I'll see if I can hunt it up.

Hope you're not hurting much, Gus.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
Re: How many teeth do you have left?
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm down to seven. I was just reading something Calamity Jane had written and suddenly I started getting a headache. I didn't think much of the pain at first because Jane usually gives me a headache, but then I realized it wasn't really a headache after all, but rather a toothache.

By the time I am through with you, you won't have any left, sissy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:08 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
When I was down to 16, I let the butcher who calls himself a dentist yank 'em all.

I actually knew a guy who did that. He was one of my dad's friends and had been having quite a bit of problem with his teeth over the years and finally could take it no more. He went into the dentist for his latest toothache and told him to take all the teeth out.

The dentist told him that he had some good teeth left in his mouth.

"Somewhere down the line those good teeth are gonna be bad and they are going to put me through the kind of **** I'm going through right now! Take them out! All of them! It's my damned money!

The dentist complied.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:08 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

By the time I am through with you, you won't have any left, sissy.

Promise?

You excite me sometimes, Jane.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:25 pm
read a book recently about a schoolteacher who about 1890 decided to follow her husband out to western canada to homestead .
before she left , she visited a dentist and had all her perfectly good teeth pulled out since there was not going to be a dentist in homesteading country !
OUCH !
as that true love or what ... ?
perhaps gus has the answer to that :wink: .
hbg

(old german joke :
family is sitting down to dinner . grandma is missing .
little gustav is asked to get her .
he comes back shouting : "grandma will be here right away ; she is just brushing her tooth Laughing )
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:30 pm
Another old German joke:

Little boy is screaming because he has to pee.

Grandpa says "I'll take you into the bathroom and help you, Vilhelm."

Little boy screams, "No...I want Grandma!!!"

"Why?", says Grandpa.

"Cause her hand shakes."

I'm sorry. I should have saved that one for Slappy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:37 pm
I have all my teeth, including four wisdom teeth.

Just because I am kind, I will throw in for free that I also have my tonsils, adenoids and appendix, which I am sure will interest you all greatly.

What the hell IS an adenoid, anyway?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Promise?

You excite me sometimes, Jane.

Yeah, hold on to your pitchfork, you're in for a bumpy ride. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:47 pm
dlowan wrote:
I have all my teeth, including four wisdom teeth.

Yeah..... right.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
dlowan wrote:

I don't think an adenoid is normally removed anyway. Should be
adjacent to the tonsils, I guess.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I don't think an adenoid is normally removed anyway. Should be
adjacent to the tonsils, I guess.

When I was a kid there was a fetish for removing tonsils and, frequently, adenoids.

Most of my friends had theirs in little glass jars full of meths or something.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

****. I shoulda left that one in.
0 Replies

djjd62

16 left

and 16 right
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:56 pm
Why was I under the impression that I, with my seven teeth, would own the bragging rights to most teeth on A2K?

By the sounds of it, and I find this very, very, hard to believe, there are people here who have ALL of their teeth?

What sort of world are we living in?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:58 pm
Ok...this is what one IS:

• Adenoid

Adenoids, or pharyngeal tonsils, are folds of lymphatic tissue covered by ciliated epithelium. They are found in the roof and posterior wall of the nasopharynx at the back of the throat behind the uvula.

But what in hell does it DO?

http://www.pedsent.com/images/surg_lg_adenoid.gif

Oh...this is what they do.

Function

Adenoids are part of the immune system. Like all lymphoid tissue, they trap infectious agents like viruses and bacteria, and they produce antibodies. Since the adenoids are located at the back of the nasal airway, they provide defense against inhaled substances. This function decreases with age as the adenoids shrink. Because adenoids do ordinarily shrink by late childhood, the problems caused by enlarged adenoids rarely occur in adults.

There is very little lymphoid tissue in the nasopharynx of young babies; humans are born without substantial adenoids. The mat of lymphoid tissue called adenoids starts to get sizable during the first year of life. Just how big the adenoids become is quite variable between individual children. Enlarged adenoids can become nearly the size of a ping pong ball and completely block airflow through the nasal passages. Even if enlarged adenoids are not substantial enough to physically block the back of the nose, they can obstruct airflow enough so that breathing through the nose requires an uncomfortable amount of work, and inhalation occurs instead through an open mouth. Adenoids can also obstruct the nasal airway enough to affect the voice without actually stopping nasal airflow altogether.

Nasal blockage is determined by least two factors: 1) the size of the adenoids, and 2) the size of the nasal pharynx passageway. The adenoid usually reaches is greatest size by about age 5 years or so, and then fades away ("atrophies") by late childhood - generally by the age of 7 years. The lymphoid tissue remains under the mucosa of the nasopharynx, and could be seen under a microscope if the area was biopsied, but the mass is so reduced in size that the roof of the nasopharynx becomes flat rather than mounded. Just as the size of the adenoids is variable between individuals, so is the age at which adenoids atrophy.

The adenoids, like all lymphoid tissue, enlarge when infected. Although lymphoid tissue does act to fight infection, sometimes bacteria and viruses can lodge within it and survive. Chronic infection, either viral or bacterial, can keep the pad of adenoids enlarged for years, even into adulthood. Some viruses, such as the Epstein-Barr Virus, can cause dramatic enlargement of lymphoid tissue. Primary or reactivation infections with Epstein Barr Virus, and certain other bacteria and viruses, can even cause enlargement of the adenoidal pad in an adult whose adenoids had previously become atrophied.

Adenoids are rarely visible on physical examination without the skilled use of mirrors or fiber optic endoscopes. A lateral X-ray view of the skull taken to show soft tissue density can show the adenoids, as can other imaging studies such as CT scans and MRI.

Now I can forget about the little smeggers again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:59 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Why was I under the impression that I, with my seven teeth, would own the bragging rights to most teeth on A2K?

By the sounds of it, and I find this very, very, hard to believe, there are people here who have ALL of their teeth?

What sort of world are we living in?

A world of people with 32 teeth.

You're really weird.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:08 pm
You're not the first person who has made that observation.

Such is my fate.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:17 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You're not the first person who has made that observation.

And she won't be the last either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:20 pm
I have 31 teeth, missing one wisdom tooth, and no tonsils or adenoids, being a child at the time it was routine to surgically intervent with them. Schniff.

I've an aunt who had her teeth out in the fifties who then went into bacteremic shock/septicemia, and was a mess for years after. Yikes.

And a friend at a clinical lab I worked in, one of the clerical staff, had gone to one of those dentists that advertise on buses and loud radio commercials because she had little money and had hit a tooth at the local city pool...

yes, they took out all her teeth, got her mixed up with someone else. She was about 24 and had 'false teeth'. We asked her why she didn't sue, but she was calm about it: that wouldn't bring her teeth back.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How many teeth do you have left?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 11:26:44