You're going to regret that...

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:54 pm
I interviewed a potential worker for next spring and I confess that I'm not going to hire her because of how she looks. The problem is she has a series of spiral tattoos on her face that makes her look like Groucho Marx. She apparently belongs to some feminist cult that gets these tattoos, or so she explained to me. I'm fine with the cult, it's just that tattoo. I can't see sending her to my clients homes with that wacky face, it's both comical and frightening. I've hired people with all sorts of hairdos, piercings, body mutilations, wardrobe malfunctions, etc, but this form of expression really had me waving bye bye. I was thinking how much she will probably regret getting that thing in a few years - and the expense to laser it off will be in the thousands. She would have to work the freak circuit a long time to afford the removal. In my youth I shaved my hair into a long mohawk, but it grew back (although I looked like Don King for a while) and I was able to celebrate my thirtieth birthday with dignity.

So what did you do in your younger days that you look back on and say - "WHAT WAS I THINKING!?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,686 • Replies: 55
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:00 pm
The Jane Fonda in Klute haircut.

Oh dear Confused Embarrassed Confused

Even shaving my head for my 30th birthday was better.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The Jane Fonda in Klute haircut.

Oh dear Confused Embarrassed Confused

Even shaving my head for my 30th birthday was better.

http://www.geocities.com/jacsuth22/johnklute.jpg

Had to look it up. Jane is carrying it off OK, but I could see it would not be for everyone.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
I would never hire someone that would deal with customers with tattooes on their face, unless it was a tattoo palor or hipster record store.

I had a stupid tail, basically a really thin mullet when I was a kid. I'd love to go back in time and beat the sh!t out of myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:46 pm
Never mind what I did in my youth or early adulthood, none of it related to tattoos... the grass smoking with the hotel manager in mexico at a crossroads - I was a walking fool. I later heard he was in a terrible accident... (not kidding).

Some number of year/decades later a friend had a very well regarded garden center, and hired a wicca enthusiast who had a bunch of tattoos, with the understanding she'd not be showing them. She did and she was then gone.

I'm not unsympathetic to tattoos, like a bunch of them. It's all the rings through lips at my coffee place that gave me a slight shimmy, before I got over it. If I, relatively forbearing, have a slight shimmy, what of the rest of the population.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:00 pm
I will admit to an oof, what is she doing, re a very heavy young woman who crossed at a light in front of my car... very heavily tattooed. I felt she'd gone into a strange world of self identification and self immolation simultaneously.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:11 pm
When I was a youngster I wouldn't be seen in public wearing anything that contained a color other than black, white, hot pink, hot green, hot orange, or hot purple.
Laughing
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:22 pm
they were all saying we were all going to be in flying cars by now. in hindsight i wish i hadnt bought mine,

i will look like a complete dickhead being the only person flying around in one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:24 pm
I thought I was going to die young (by young, I was thinking 30-ish). Dunno why. Now I'm nearly 40 and I haven't planned for the rest of my life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:34 pm
I'm sympathetic to that, littleK. I am much later by far, and farther, to understand that money matters.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:41 pm
Got an Afro when I was 17. I have a lot of hair and it takes a perm really well. The Afro was HUGE. When it came time to get rid of it I had to get a really short pixie-ish cut. I loved it but pretty much everybody else was freaked out by how short it was (this was years before Sinead O'Conner). I was a member of the Naval Reserves at the time and was almost up on charges because they found it so "unfeminine". (Newsflash! Drill boots aren't especially feminine either guys!)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:57 pm
You must have looked pretty hot with the mohawk, GW. I remember some of the girls in high school that had mohawks and the like... <sighs>

Any pics? ;-)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:01 pm
nimh wrote:
You must have looked pretty hot with the mohawk, GW. I remember some of the girls in high school that had mohawks and the like... <sighs>

Any pics? ;-)

I know pictures exist somewhere, but I ain't postin' them.

It's a look you have to be very young to carry off and it was fine when I was a 19 year old punk art student in the East Village. The thought that I would have to carry it off for the rest of my life would be tragic.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:09 pm
:::blush::: I bought a Flobee....and actually USED it! Not just once, but for about 3 years. ::::shudder::::

Oh, and I did the Afro thing too... that one went on for 2 years. Luckily the hairdresser I trusted to do it moved out of the area and I didn 't want to chance allowing anyone else to "ruin" it.

Looking back on photos of the time, I wish that someone would have yanked the flobee from my hands. Gah!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:18 pm
Had to look up Flobee. For others who are clueless:

http://images.harrietcarter.com/images/products/7004xxl.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:59 pm
I had a mullet in high school.
With shaved bare sides.

I have 2 tatoos..
they look like jail house tatoos..

and thousands of other things I am glad that did not leave body marks..
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:36 pm
haha I remember the commercials for those flowbee things...how can you not laugh seeing the grinning face of Mr.Rogers experiencing the excitement of sucking his hair with a vacuum?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 10:18 am
I regret the acid wash with white leather, bubblegum jeans (soak in the tub for extra ho-ishness), neon skirts and bad poofy hair.

Have you ever seen a curly-headed mohawk? That is some funny ****.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 10:50 am
My best friend and I were getting ready to go to a highschool party. She had dreams of going to beauty school and often practiced on herself. Well, my hair wasn't cooperating so I asked her to trim up the back and add a few layers. Before I got into the car with our other girlfriends she told them to tell me how good my hair looked and we went on to have a great time at the party. The next morning my mother just about flipped and immediately drug me out to a hair salon. My friend actually cut a huge chunk out of the back of my hair and I ended up with a short cut.
She ended up going to beauty school and does very well but we still laugh about the time she cut my hair and let me go to a party with it.
Got a tatoo for my 40th b-day. Don't regret that one bit but I had it placed were it's not noticable in public. But it hurt like hell and I won't do that again!
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 08:59 pm
You're going to regret that
Green Witch;

Thanks for your imformation on what a "Flobee" is....I use to fly alot in an open cockpit without a helmet and when I landed my hair was twisted and knotted...I made another mistake I had my hair cut real short and then I looked like I was "Surprised at everything that was said.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » You're going to regret that...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 12:30:06