Bolton, is Bush brain dead?

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
President Bush has renominated John Bolton as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Mr. Bush sent Bolton's nomination to the U.S. Senate Thursday following a meeting with the outgoing Republican leadership, who lost control of both houses of Congress in Tuesday's elections.

In 2005, minority Senate Democrats blocked attempts to hold a final vote on Bolton's nomination in the Republican-led Senate.

Bolton has been serving as Washington's envoy to the U.N. under a temporary recess appointment by Mr. Bush that allows him to serve until the new Congress convenes in January.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 24
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:34 pm
Bolton
Bolton took arrogance and obnoxious lessons from Don Rumsfeld and should follow in his footsteops---out the door.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:43 pm
Not promising. This is an appointment guaranteed to create division and discord.

Which is almost certainly the precise goal. Try, immediately, to make the new dem controlled houses look vindictive, unreasonable, soft on terror, etc. These bastards don't learn because they don't want to learn.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:51 pm
Lincoln Chafee Opposing John Bolton UN Confirmation
Lincoln Chafee Opposing John Bolton UN Confirmation Officially
by Steve Clemons

Lincoln Chafee Opposing John Bolton UN Confirmation Officially: Bolton Confirmation Battle Officially

Word has just reached me from a well-placed source that the White House has continued to push John Bolton's confirmation prospects as US Ambassador to the United Nations despite the election outcome.

Another highly placed source has informed me that in just a few minutes Senator Lincoln Chafee is calling a press conference to state categorically that he will not support John Bolton's confirmation in the upcoming lame duck session.

The Bolton confirmation will be officially dead in a few minutes.

-- Steve Clemons is Senior Fellow and Director of the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation and publishes the popular political blog, The Washington Note

Update: Here is a copy of what the White House did today. Does this look like a new "bipartisan" start? I don't think so:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release -- November 9, 2006

NOMINATIONS SENT TO THE SENATE:

John Robert Bolton, of Maryland, to be the Representative of the United States of America to the United Nations, with the rank and status of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, and the Representative of the United States of America in the Security Council of the United Nations.

John Robert Bolton, of Maryland, to be Representative of the United States of America to the Sessions of the General Assembly of the United Nations during his tenure of service as Representative of the United States of America to the United Nations.

The President is showing that he is not as ready as people think to collaborate with the new Senate and new House.

-- Steve Clemons
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
How kinky. Bushie must enjoy getting slapped down. Lincoln Chafee's finest hour.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:13 pm
Chafey
Lincoln Chafey is the only Republican I feel bad about his losing, but it had to be done to change control.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
Hasn't anybody learned? Bush lies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 05:40 pm
Re: Bolton, is Bush brain dead?
Just give Bolton another recess appointment. No problem.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 05:42 pm
oralloy wrote:
It's that kind of **** that cost the repubs the election.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.

Sure it can. All Bush has to do is wait for the first recess.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:19 pm
oralloy wrote:
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.

how many seats in crogress will that cost the republicans in o8? Hubris ain't what it used to be.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
oralloy wrote:
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.

how many seats in crogress will that cost the republicans in o8? Hubris ain't what it used to be.

I doubt it'll cost them anything.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:46 pm
oralloy wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
oralloy wrote:
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.

Yeah, right. did you also predict a landslide for the current fiasco republican showing?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
oralloy wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
oralloy wrote:
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

can't be done.

Yeah, right. did you also predict a landslide for the current fiasco republican showing?

I didn't make any predictions as to the results of the election.

I do predict that a recess appointment for Bolton will not cost the Republicans anything in any election.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:14 pm
Aw, Bush knows better than to try that old trick another time, oralloy. Remember:

Quote:
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:37 pm
old europe wrote:
Aw, Bush knows better than to try that old trick another time, oralloy. Remember:

Quote:

A recess appointment is not a trick that you fool somebody with. It is a Constitutional power of the President.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:40 pm
oralloy wrote:
A recess appointment is not a trick that you fool somebody with.

There you go...
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:44 pm
I really cant stand Bushie or Bolton but besides that maybe Bushie should show us he's the Decider around here and give Bolton that recess appointment. He should change his mind on Rummy too. Show Poppy Bushie who's the real man.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:22 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
I really cant stand Bushie or Bolton but besides that maybe Bushie should show us he's the Decider around here and give Bolton that recess appointment. He should change his mind on Rummy too. Show Poppy Bushie who's the real man.

You should stick a carrot up your arse and see if the easter bunny pays you a visit.
0 Replies