Google, and Google-Watch

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:03 pm
On page 150 of the July PC World, at the bottom of the right hand column, I came across a disturbing bit of information. Perhaps everybody knows this, and I'm just the last one on the train, but if it[s true that Google has all that of information about me, I'm not too happy.

I checked into the Google Watch (www.google-watch.org) site and what it said about the relationship between Google and the Federal Government scares me. I tried using Google Watch for a couple of things and came up with the same information as Google provided. I haven't gone into thing like asking Google Watch for pictures yet, but as far as I can tell it provides the same info, but at no cost to your privacy.

Further, it seems (if the Google Watch site is correct) that even having the Google toolbar on your computer leaves you open to incredible government invasion. Shocked

Anyway, has anyone else come upon this or similar information about Google? If so, what's your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,734 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:06 pm
Yes, I would like to know, too.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
Google, and Google Watch
It's really scary. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
Here's a similar topic that addresses a lot of the concerns about Google:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=google&start=0
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:23 pm
Basically, Google just gathers existing content; it's a library. It doesn't create context (write books), it makes it easier to find information. So if you have a problem with the books -- the information that is available -- the problem is with the authors of the books, not the library.

Does that make sense?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:09 pm
Google
No, Sozobe, I have no problem with the nature of the information that Google itself gathers on the infinite number of topics there are in this world. What I don't like is the idea that while I am using Google to gather information about anything, Google is gathering information about me, all neatly tied up and ready to dispense to whatever government agency may want it.

To think that Google keeps a record of every search I have ever requested them to make is bad enough, but to think that merely having the toolbar on my computer leaves my computer open to any government entity which wants to see what stuff, not necessarily Google searches, I have been dealing with makes me feel kinda sick. Apparently, the Google toolbar records every site I visit. Twisted Evil

Go to Google Watch and see for yourself. Maybe I'm paranoid, but then again...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
Google Watch seems to be a rather paranoid site in and of itself. If this is something which disturbs you, then don't have google on your toolbar. I don't; i do use google to find what i'm looking for, by simpply not being so lazy that i won't take the trouble to type the address into the address window--you don't need to "install" google to use it. If it really bothers you, don't use it at all. The concept that the government is spying on us is absurd. The numbers of people using the www beggars the ability of the government to collect the data, let alone collate it and take action based upon an assessment. You'd have to attract the attention of the government in some other manner before they are going to commit any resources to an investigation of you which includes trying to ascertain your web usage. If that were the case however, not using google is not going to hamper such an investigation. I rather think there are more important subjects for you to worry about. Of course, the choice is yours.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 03:06 pm
Google Watch is for paranoid people.

Google does not collect your data.

The Google Toolbar does track general page statistics but you can turn it off.

Paranoid people hurt the legitimate privacy concerns.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 03:19 pm
Google
Thanks, Craven, I'll take your word for it - I sure would hate to give up Google. I have always wondered, BTW, what advantage having Google on the toolbar was. Typing in the address is no more time-consuming than clicking on the toolbar buttons.

In fact, I've often wondered just what advantage having some addresses in my Favorites list really was. Obviously, certain addresses are far too long and too complicated to enter quickly and correctly, but Google certainly isn't one of them - you couldn't get a much simpler URL. By the time you click on the Favorites button, and then the folder with the addresses, e.g., "Reference", you could have entered it by hand directly perfectly well.

I am gadget-minded, and like to try new things, so sometimes I fall into the trap of adding an item I just plain don't need. I suspect the Google toolbar thing falls into that category.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
I use the tool bar because it saves me a few seconds. I have it set to open the search in a new window.

It serves as my spell check etc.

If you tun off the advanced features of the toolbar no information is sent to google.

But frankly the information sent to google is not a breach of your privacy as it is colated in aggregate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 03:24 pm
<he takes Craven's word for it... hmph... Wink>

I just have Google in my favorites, right at the top, access it within a second or two.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
Well, Craven's always given me sound advice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 07:16 pm
Oh, he knows tons more than I do. I was kiddin'.

I think this falls generally into the same category as the frequent "deodorant gives you cancer" scares. Deodorant is something we use every day -- it's chemically and it's applied directly to our skin -- we're slightly suspicious of it. We get these "warning" emails and they hold just enough truth that we get really, really worried.

We use Google everyday -- it's amazingly efficient in exposing arcane information -- we're slightly suspicious of it. We see something about nefariousness behind the scenes and it holds just enough truth that we get really, really worried.

That doesn't mean it's true.
0 Replies