What can it mean this Fiddler on the Roof?

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:21 am
I found the lyrics to the title song from "Fiddler on the Roof" running through my head this morning (probably because my mom is coming for a visit and it is one of her favorite movies).

I remember a monologue at the beginning of the story where Tyve (?) compares something to the fiddler but I can't remember what it is.

What CAN it mean, this fiddler on the roof?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 29,081 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:27 am
Found this- Looks like as good an explanation as any!!

Quote:
...The fiddler plays the main title while his sharp silhouette shares the screen with the film's production credits.
Quite often, people ask about the fiddler's meaning to the story. Although I am no scholar, I do have my own thoughts on the subject. The "Klezmer band" featured prominently in Russian/Jewish art which often highlighted either the fiddler or the clarinetist. So, the fiddler is already a cultural building block for the Eastern European Jew in the early 1900s.
A "Fiddler" on a pointed Roof would be in a precarious situation. While sliding his bow across the instrument, he'd have to be careful not to fall off of the roof to one side or the other. Only with great balance can he play the best music he can.
In "Fiddler on the Roof", Tevye lives life like he is also a fiddler on the roof. He is a good man who tries to live the best life he can for God. But is constantly pulled off to one side or the other. One one side of the roof is the traditions he and the village have grown with while the other side lies his three eldest daughters whose actions call for reform. When Tevye is faced with an issue he often states both sides of the story - or roof- to find the most balanced answer. When the Fiddler is featured in a scene, he is often representing what Tevye wants but is unwilling to say. These are just some of my thoughts. I would love to hear anyone else's opinion on the matter.

Link to Fiddler
boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
Thank you Phoenix for such a quick and great response.

I remember another scene where Tevye is saying

"On the other hand..... on the other hand.... on the other hand....
There is no other hand!"

That explaination makes even more sense in light of that.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
Great answer! I think the fiddler has a dual meaning, in that it also reflects the resiliency of the Jewish people who celebrate their culture in precarious places and ". . . after every storm, I see [they're] still around."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:31 am
"Celebrate their culture in precarious places" !

What a great analogy with the fiddler, dupre. Thank you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:32 am
Didn't he also symbolize tradition?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:35 am
In what way, little k?

(Symbolism is not my forte.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:38 am
I dunno why, just a connection I made.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
Tevye also stated:
Quote:
But in our little village of Anatevka, everyone of us is a fiddler on the roof, trying to scratch out a simple, pleasant tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous? I'll tell you, I don't know, but it's a tradition!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:46 am
maybe that's where I got it from.....
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:51 am
Tevye, continuing:
Quote:
And because of our traditons, every one of us knows who he is and what God expects him to be.

It's a fitting gesture to remember Tevye on this Father's Day as he is one of the most famous fathers of musical theatre.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:54 am
That is exactly the monologue I was talking about, williamhenry! Thank you.

And yes, Tevye was a great dad and a fitting person to pay a father's day tribute to!

Now I'm curious about traditions that "nobody knows" why.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:55 am
My Hungarian-Jewish step-father, who was born and raised in Alexandria, Egypt, would go through the house with his hands up above his head, singing, "If I were a Rich Man."

Oh, how he made up happy!!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:03 am
What a happy place that must have been, dupre.

My dad used to sing that song and dance around the house to. I especially remember his emphasis on the line "I wouldn't have to work hard!"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:04 am
My mom arrives for her yearly visit today. I think I'll go rent this movie and suprise her. We can drink wine and sing along!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:27 am
How nice!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 11:40 am
Have a great time with your Mom, boomer.

And don't forget to look for Paul Michael Glazer (TV's Starsky from Starsky & Hutch), who plays Perchek, who is sent to Siberia.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 11:43 am
Thank you jespah, I know we'll have a great time.

Starsky!? You're kidding. I'm sure we'll get the giggles.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:15 pm
boomer<

Here's another giggle for you.

Thirty years ago, it was my great pleasure to play the role of Perchik in a community theatre production of Fiddler.

How strange of me to think it was only a few years ago. What a pleasure it was to play this young student. I hope you see the movie. I think, though, that a "live" stage production of Fiddler is more touching than the movie.

Fiddler is meant to be played with both boisterous gusto and quiet reverence. I did not find a blend of these characteristics in the film.

L'chaim!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:25 am
Oh! How fun williamhenry! I'm supposing that's how you knew the monologue.

Movies always water things down, don't they? I would love to see a stage production and will keep my eyes peeled for a preformance.

L'chaim!
0 Replies