who is better looking, elvis or the beetles?

flakker

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:19 am
on the record, i am better looking than them both, but my point is, aside from the fact im male i couldnt see how the helmet heads on the beetles were ever attractive. i could see myself doing it with elvis though.

were they (the beetles) ever attractive? or does attractiveness come and go with time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 20
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:40 am
Id say Elvis.
0 Replies

Vicki E

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:44 am
Definitely Elvis. Although if you matched him up against the Beatles I may change my mind.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:50 am
Times and aesthetics change.

This guy was hot in the late 1700's:
http://www.nndb.com/people/670/000095385/beau-brummell-1-sized.jpg

My mother might have swooned for this guy:
http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/graphics/bing.jpg

I went to college with girls who would do this guy:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/yir/interactive/passages.gallery/images/joey.ramone.jpg

Times change, looks change, sexuality comes along for the ride.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:05 am
Elvis was the embodiment of bad taste and he did not look very bright.
Beatles win easily over that oaf.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
Hmm, George Harrison was tasty but I suppose for the obvious good looking guy its Elvis(Presley not Costello)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:16 am
Right now, my guess is the Beatles over all - Elvis certainly didn't look good right before his death and now, he probably looks worse.

I also prefer the Beatles overall in their younger years - aside from the hair style, I thought George and Paul were pretty good looking.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:27 am
Young, thin, vanguard Elvis was crazy-hot. Great combination of beauty and swagger.

My kid watched "Yellow Submarine" and is now heavily into the Beatles, so we've been watching old clips on You Tube, and they have this controlled euphoria thing going on that's also very appealing. They just seem to be having so much fun, and the confidence + power in keeping a lid on it (barely) is pretty cool. John is probably the best-looking, though even Ringo definitely had his appeal.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:43 pm
The Beatles for me (please). I never could stand Elvis, he always looked slimy to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:52 pm
I'm so old I was around when Elvis got started.. I never had a crush on him, though my then best friend did. I was busy being crazy about Fess Parker, g'help me. I loved the Beatles dearly, but never had a major crush on any of them. Again, I'm so old... I have seen a whole bunch of hair styles in my life. I liked the Beatles hair at the time. When I saw the movie Hard Days Night at the time it came out, it was captivating, so different from every other movie in theaters then.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:58 pm
Oh my gosh, you guys! I just realized we've all made an embarrassing faux pas. We're supposed to be comparing Elvis to bugs. I guess I liked Elvis better than most beetles, but not better than ladybugs.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:01 pm
Okay, I'm sorry. I admire all of you who had the self-control to not make that joke. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:03 pm
Well, Elvis was seemingly hoody, but not in the cool way that Brando or even James Dean were... more slimy hoody. (so judgemental I'm being. - but I'm speaking as myself at thirteen, fourteen...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:16 pm
He was a greaser so kind of inherently slimy, but I think the earliest version was enough of a ground-breaker to make it interesting, hence "vanguard". I remember this scene/ song from "Jailhouse Rock" making a big impression on me when I was an early teenager in the mid-80's (and a bit worried I was too square :-)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SovkqRVsim8

The audience does applaud at the end but I think that their impassivity when he was singing is part of it -- he's not Elvis-the-god yet, he's just some swaggering, un-square kid (a bit too greasy, a bit too ghetto -- though they wouldn't have called it that then) playing to a tough audience and having fun anyway. (Hmm, I seem to find the ability to have fun attractive...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:25 pm
I didn't dislike him strongly, and grew to like him better just a year or two after that.. never much of a follower.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:08 am
Hmm, excuse me as I avoid the topic completely....I've never heard Elvis described as "Slimy"...this has altered my entire view of the world, and I'm gonna go lay on the couch for a bit and think this thru, I might need a cold compress.

Fess Parker....cool.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:14 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
....I've never heard Elvis described as "Slimy"...

Well, I'll amend it to "greasy" if that makes it any easier on you...
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:55 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 04:04 pm
Got to be Elvis for conventional good looks.

x
0 Replies

thesyxshutr

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
Which is better looking i have no idea...but Elvis was definitely cooler. Think about it...Elvis is all about "A Little Less Conversation and a Lot More Action" and the Beatles just wanna hold your Freakin hand!!
0 Replies