Crazy Letters Appeared on E Mail

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:27 pm
I use Yahoo Mail as one of my E Mails. I had sent someone an E Mail, and she replied. My E Mail was shown with her reply. I rarely use Yahoo to write E Mails, so I have no idea as to why this happened.

This was what I sent:

Quote:
In #7 "Under no circumstances may a facilitator….." the "a" was changed to "any".

This was what was included in the reply.

Quote:
In #7 “Under no circumstances may a facilitator…..” the “a” was changed to “any”.

Anyone have a clue as to why this happened?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:29 pm
No, but I'm curious about it, too.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:44 pm
A pretty simple explanation.

At some point all the " were changed to ” .

Whatever you wrote the email in doesn't write characters the same way the person recieving them reads them. I've seen a lot of strange substitutions in transferring text from one program to another. It usually involves special characters outside the alphabet.

Oh, it looks like the 3 dots after facilitator was changed as well to ….
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:46 pm
i see that on some lyric sites, the copied lyrics have symbols like that in place of certain punctuation, usually commas
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:01 pm
I have not heard from her yet. Did she get the letters normally, or did the letters only change when she replied to me?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
Most likely one of you is using Rich Text or other text formatting in your eMail, the other isn't. Whatchya got going on there is what happens when an email's text is composed/saved in an text editor using formatted text, then opened by an email client which does not recognize the formatting; the "strange characters" you see are the characters called for in simple ASCII format - the reader you're using does not respond to the format coding (font, size, color, bold, italic, underline, placement/orientation, etc), it renders the format coding as characters.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:17 pm
Timber- I am using rich text- (Hey, anyone who writes in color has to use rich text :wink: ). The woman that I sent the E Mail to was on AOL. I know nothing about AOL, and how their E Mails work.

Oh, thanks again.
0 Replies