WARNING!

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:08 pm
Monger, Don't open the box I sent you. ;*
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:14 pm
no mong; that looks just fine, but in case they steal your numbers, you had better send them all to me first, for safe keeping. Cool
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:21 pm
Good idea BoGo, but do you think I should just post my account info on my website, along with my name, birthdate & social security number? They, and you, are obviously trying to help me out, so I'd like to reciprocate by making your jobs as easy as possible. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

CI, huh? Box? The mystery kills me
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:12 pm
Monger,
I have a file of those kinds of emails. Eventually, Ill turn it over to the FTC.

Last year, Sam and I were victims of ID theft. We had someone housesitting for a few weeks. We thought we knew him and could trust him. Wrong! He found our bank statements and used the information to purchase online dating services! Shocked The sad part is, he and his wife to be were given traditional Lakota Teachings on marriage just before they moved out!!

We got our money back, but it was hurtful to us, being stolen from by someone we took into our home. It was also time-consuming to close and reopen bank accounts,get new credit cards to replace the ones we had(not knowing if he'd found that information or not), contact credit rating agencies, the Veterans Administraion, Social Security, the FTC and of course the local police.

Living in a quiet rural area has it's advantages...usually. However, in our case, the sheriff's department passed the buck to the jurisdiction that he resided in. They, in turn, avoided it by referring us back to our own jurisdiction. Why? Because it was done online, not like a regular break-in. But a case number was finally assigned, but won't be pursued due to our getting our money back from the dating services.

That's my tale. Be careful children. There really are naughty people out there. As an Inuit brother says, "The Creator must really love ass-holes. After all, he sure made a lot of them."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:16 pm
And as Barnham said, there's a sucker born every minute.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:58 pm
Today, I got a series of messages from friends and some relatives that said, and I paraphrase
"Recently, 32000$ worth of UPS uniforms were sold on eBAy. This may be a possible plot to permit terrorists , dressed as UPS delivery people, to deliver packages with explosives, disease spores setc, to unsuspecting adressees.
Please notify all people in your mail box that there is a high possibility that terrorists, disguised as UPS people are out ther... something like that,

It was ended with an official looking Homeland Security seal and some persons name

1 The thing that got me was , my usually intelligent family and friends , seemed to fall for this withjout question.

2 32000$ of UPS uniforms on eBay? My next question would have been. IS UPS that stupid? I dont think so

I wrote my family and said, in essence, "youve just sent me a virus that was attached to the UPS /eBAy message , thanks a lot.

I am now waiting for all the e-mails telling me that , although the UPS thing was a hoax, there is now a UPS virus. oy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:32 pm
farmerman, From my observation of the American population and "fear," it seems like a foregone conclusion that common sense has been lost in America. It seems rational thinking is a lost skill, and people would rather believe the threats of WMDs from Saddam than all the reports negating them - even after his capture. The 1980s missile found recently with a probability of sarin has now reinforced the idea that Saddam had WMDs.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:26 pm
I had a dream this past year. There was the eminent fear of being hunted down by those that might wish me and those with me harm, even death. What the action and my interaction with the participants doesn't matter, as much as the message that I was given. The messgae was simple and it applies to all of this chaos in the world. "They feed on fear and anger."

I'd told this dream to Elders and those that some call "medicine men". These people listened to the dream closely, but most closely to the message. They all nodded and told me that I needed to share that message, so now you have it.

Please don't think this is crazy. Think about the things said in this and other threads. Think about the times we live in and what are really the two tools used for distracting people from what's really important.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:35 am
Oh yes, Wiyaka. Fear and anger are prime motivators.
0 Replies