Women 'are grumpier than men'

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 01:08 pm
Quote:
Women 'are grumpier than men'

Women are grumpier than men in the morning, a survey has found.

The report, which confirms what many men have long believed, adds insult to injury by saying women also stay in a bad mood for longer.

The survey by The Sleep Council, which aims to raise awareness of the importance of good sleep, found 24 per cent of men say they never wake up grumpy, as opposed to only 14 per cent of women.

It also found that 13 per cent of women stayed in a bad mood for two to four hours, compared to 10 per cent of men.

The survey, published ahead of National Sleep In Day on October 29 - the day the clocks go back and Britons get an extra hour in bed - revealed 41 of respondents believe lack of sleep is the main reason for being cranky in the morning.

The Sleep Council's Jessica Alexander said women's grumpiness could perhaps be explained by the quality of sleep they were getting.

"As men appear to sleep better than women, perhaps it's not surprising that more women than men get out of bed on the wrong side," she said.

"It also tends to be them that prepares the breakfast, spends time with the children, check their emails and attend to their beauty regime.

"Women far outweigh men in having a busy and packed morning."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 538 • Replies: 15
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 01:54 pm
Thank God! Scientific proof!

Now, hmm, when's the best time to spring this fact on my wife.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:17 pm
what the HELL are you talking about?

grumpy

MY ASS!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:43 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Now, hmm, when's the best time to spring this fact on my wife.....

Leave a message which she reads after you go to work. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:37 pm
I'M NOT GRUMPY!

Who the hell comes up with this crap?

Blacksmith, you just better be happy you're not sleeping on the couch.

And Reyn....HOW can you say I'm grumpy!?

Now both of you, get the hell away from me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:39 pm
You know what?

no...I'm back buster....

you know what?

just go mind your own peas and carrots.

yeah....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:45 pm
2 solution to grumpyness in women.

1. Shed.

2. PUB/bar
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:06 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'M NOT GRUMPY!

Who the hell comes up with this crap?

Blacksmith, you just better be happy you're not sleeping on the couch.

And Reyn....HOW can you say I'm grumpy!?

Now both of you, get the hell away from me.

Ladies and gentlemen, we must excuse Dr. Chai. She's having one of those moments.

She'll be back with us soon.

Or not.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:30 pm
I read this thread title and thought, "Of course we are!" The 'busy morning' thing is true for most women (not so much me, but then I wake up pretty happy - groggy, but happy). And another thing, who decided what grumpy was? How was it defined and who rated those waking up?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:38 pm
Re: Women 'are grumpier than men'
Quote:
The Sleep Council's Jessica Alexander said women's grumpiness could perhaps be explained by the quality of sleep they were getting.

[She said,] "It also tends to be them that prepares the breakfast, spends time with the children, check their emails and attend to their beauty regime. [..]"

leaving little time to acquaint themselves with the proper use of English grammar..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
littlek wrote:
And another thing, who decided what grumpy was? How was it defined and who rated those waking up?

Little K, the quote from the article in the OP says:

Quote:
The survey by The Sleep Council, which aims to raise awareness of the importance of good sleep, found 24 per cent of men say they never wake up grumpy, as opposed to only 14 per cent of women.

Ie, the survey was based on self-reporting. Nobody was rating them (but themselves).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
Right, I guess that's my point. Self-reporting seems a bit shady especially when dealing with the mood differences between men and women.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:44 pm
How much money did these scientific survey pearls of wisdom cost the taxpayers? I could have told you the same things for half the price!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:53 pm
I'll agree this survey was sloppy...
I don't know if it is exceptionally sloppy, typical of shot from the cuff ideas that may fly, or just not thoughtful enough.. given the funding, or not given the funding...

but the question has interest.

I've not preconceived opinions on this. I can come up with why a person of either sex would rather not face the day.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:50 pm
I think I know the source of the statistical mismatch: married men wake up not grumpy, but resigned -- in no small part because so many married women wake up grumpy.

It's a power thing.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:55 pm
[peeks around the corner]

Is Chai Tea gone yet?

[Steps into room]

Boy, those women sure are gru...

[Realizes exactly who is STILL in the room]

Uh... Oh, gosh! Look at the time! Gotta go!

[Flees the thread as fast as his typing fingers can carry him]
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Women 'are grumpier than men'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:32:39