Internet Explorer 7 and Bookmarks

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
Well, I finally downloaded IE7. It's OK, but I seem to like the tabbed browsing on Firefox better.

The new IE7 does not seem to have a button for "favorites". I have the Google toolbar, and that contains my favorites, "bookmarks". The problem is, to access them, I have to sign into my Google account, and that is a pain in the butt.

Dumb question: Does this mean that my favorites are now accessed from the internet, and are no longer on my hard drive? Also, is there any way to work with favorites directly from IE7?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,096 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:19 am
Found it..............Never mind!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:36 am
OK- Now that I found it, I have another question. On Mozilla, when I access a Bookmarked category, I have the option of "open in tabs". Can I do this in IE7?

For instance, I have a subscription to Blockbuster Online. When I want to search for a movie, in Mozilla, I open a bunch of tabs in my bookmarks that I have grouped under Film, Blockbuster, Amazon, IMDB, MRQE etc.
Can I do this all at once on IE7?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:41 am
You can if you sort your bookmarks into folders - to open all links in a folder in tabs, right-click the folder and select "Open in Tab Group"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:39 pm
Thanks, Timber! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:43 pm
Just for the record, now that I am familiar with IE7, I LOVE it. I especially like the feature where you can see all the pages that have been tabbed in the same window.
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:34 am
Firefox pwns IE
You won't love it when you find some hacker or virus has made it's way through the numorous security holes that IE has and changes your PC into a slow piece of crap. Join Firefox 2 or Opera 9. Opera 9 is more secure tha Firfox and has many cool widgets and fetures that make it good competition for Firefox. Reconsider.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:42 am
Anyone who doesn't want to bother with safe, intelligent browsing, downloading, eMail, and chat/messaging practice, and who doesn't want to take the effort to properly deploy security/privacy software, and who prefers to not keep everything currently updated and correctl.y configured will gain small measure of benefit through the use of an alternative browser.

Now, don't get me wong; I happen to like Mozilla Firefox, and the concept behind it. I've long been an active beta tester, going back to its beginnings as what amounted to little more than a shell overlay for Netscape. The development has been phenomenal, but not without its miss-steps. Opera also has its good points and its pitfalls, its a much better browser today than it was back in the late '90s, and I've been right there with its evolution from a paid product through its ad-supported days into the present incarnation.

All that said, the web mostly is designed with IE in mind, that's just the way it is, and the vast majority of computer users out there use IE - that's just the way it is too, and that's no coincidence. The simple fact of IE's widespread use is the reason its the biggest target, and its a fact that as alternative browsers gain in popularity, so too attacks designed for them gain in frequency (some of which - particularly the current crop - can be absolutely devastating). No software is going to protect the determinedly careless user from user stupidity. I have machines layered with security/privacy software, and I have machines running essentially naked behind a hardware firewall, but currently updated and securely configured. The "naked" machines get "infected" only when I want them to - generally to research the properties and behavior of some new flavor of yuckware - and sometimes it takes a bit of doing even then. How you use your machine has much more to do with what happens to it out there on the web than does which browser, eMail client, chat/messenger app, or operating system you use.

And all that said, its your machine, do whatever you want with it. I derive a fair amount of income from sorting out machines for folks who don't do what they should. I have no reason to expect that will change.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:47 am
timber- I am usually pretty careful where I surf. Today, I clicked on what I thought was a pretty innocuous site, and, for the first time, I got the IE "phishing" warning message. I was so taken aback, that I clicked it off, without reading what Microsoft had to say. I then deleted my history and my temporary internet files.

Not that I am paranoid or anything, :wink: but I think that I will run my spyware scan, even though I only did it a couple of days ago. Was there anything that I should have read that I didn't on the Microsoft phishing warning?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:53 am
Prolly not - the big deal is to not enter any information into a phishing page, and to not click anything there. If ya wanna, and you still have it, PM the site's URL to me and I'll check it out for ya.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
Thanks, Timber, but I just "X"ed it out.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:30 pm
My turn for the IE7 questions.

It often seems to be timing out. I get "page expired" messages a fair bit, especially on A2K (like when I went searching for info on IE7). At first I thought it was only when I used the search function, but it does happen frequently when I want to go back to the previous page anywhere on the forum.

Is it a control that I haven't set?

Also ~ there's no more "file" on the toolbar, which means that when I want to print something I can only use the "print" icon button on the toolbar. There is a flyout that also has "print preview" and "page setup". But I often want to print less than the whole article. An example of this would be mapquest ~ it often runs to 2-3 printed pages, but the last page is unnecessary for my purposes. I don't want to print it, so normally I would print from the file tab and select "current page only" from the window that opens. This option must still be available somewhere, right?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:38 pm
Tico- Is is there, but I'll be damned if I can tell you how to get to it. When I first got IE7 I didn't have that, but I clicked on something-or-other, and
now I have a bar on top that has:

File, edit, view, favorites, tools and help.

Timber......................where are you!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:41 pm
Oh, I'm such a genius! Razz

Right click below the address bar, and check "menu bar". That'll do it!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:48 pm
Ta DA!

Thanks Phoenix. You ARE a genius!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:52 pm
Just for future reference (and to beat the computer whizzes to the punch) I see that you can also get the print dialog window with CTRL P.

Now, about the timing out .....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:05 pm
Feast your eyes on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301583
0 Replies