Our own funny little preconceived notions

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:28 am
I arrived at the stop sign at the same time as a gigantic black SUV. In a split second, I looked at the driver, made a judgment, and went first.

A few seconds down the road and I realized that I went first because the driver was a woman. She was also on a cell phone. I must've thought the word "indecisive" because I knew she wouldn't go first. If it had been a man driving that enormous vehicle capable of squashing me like a bug, cell phone or not, I think I would have waited.

What other little unexamined, preconceived notions do we have about people? Share your stories here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,762 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:33 am
Tattoos- I know that they have become more popular, and have gone "mainstream". However, when I see someone with a florid, large tattoo, the first thing that comes into my head is, "low class, not terribly bright, overly aggressive, and possibly dangerous".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:37 am
Yep. And if it's on the lower back of a woman I think "skank stamp".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:45 am
I wouldn't consider it a pre-conceived notion to think a guy would be more aggressive while driving. Experience, in my book.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:47 am
DrewDad wrote:
I wouldn't consider it a pre-conceived notion to think a guy would be more aggressive while driving. Experience, in my book.

What I have found is that men are generally more aggressive drivers. But when you get the occasional aggressive woman driver..............look out!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:47 am
Re the tatoos...on women, I always get the "low class" beep in my head. Doesn't matter how small, or where.

of course I've been proven wrong time and again, but that's what my first thought is.

I'll have to think on this one....I'll be back.

Good topic Free Duck.

I think this'll be a terrific chance to learn about others here, and also understand where we are coming from in our posts.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:51 am
Thanky. Do come back and share yours.

Drewdad, good point about it being based on experience. But then, a lot of preconceived notions are based on experience of some form or other. We're all just a bunch of little statisticians deep down inside. And our sample sizes are always too small.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:57 am
Piercings on white men = gay
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:58 am
the prince wrote:
Piercings on white men = gay

Yup- I have the same perception. Also men who wear earrings.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
<Drewdad stares into space, whistles a little tune. Inconspicuously unscrews the barbell from his nipple.>
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:23 am
Definitely the tattoo thing. Also, piercings on women, I think skank and/or lesbian.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:27 am
Man with muscle car=small penis.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:38 am
Cool glasses = interesting/ smart person.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:45 am
DrewDad wrote:
Man with muscle car=small penis.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooo mistaken Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

What I have found is that men are generally more aggressive drivers. But when you get the occasional aggressive woman driver..............look out!

Funny, but up in these parts the women, for the most part, are the aggressive drivers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:51 am
Person talking on cell phone while driving = idiot.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:52 am
Fat guys wearing the same baseball caps, followed by small women who are wearing white slacks and dripping in jewellery = American tourists in London. (sorry)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:59 am
People who wear clothing with logos etc. are followers.

And, Fat women wearing the same baseball caps, followed by small men who are wearing white slacks and dripping in jewellery = American tourists in Canada. (sorry)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
Person driving a hummer thinks he's better than everyone else. And he's probably a dick.

Did you catch that? I have a preconceived notion that someone who drives a hummer is a man.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:03 am
Guy wearing baseball cap backwards= adolescent loser.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Our own funny little preconceived notions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 09:15:40