Left handed scissors

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:15 pm
Reyn mentioned my scissors in my avatar, and asked if they were left or right handed.

There are so many degrees of left handedness...people assume I'm left handed because not only do I write with my left hand, but I proudly do so with the official "Retard Grip"

You know, the position where not only your left hand, but your entire left arm, is curled around into a claw, making you look like you've had a stroke on that side of your body.

Whenever someone mentioned they are left handed, I immediately ask them "Do you write like a retard?" For those that admit they do, it's a very empowering experience.

"Yeah, I write like a retard. So What?"

Some left handed people have to point out to you that they were trained properly in the technique of looking "normal" i.e. like a right handed person when they write..

To them I say "Pfffffft!"

Be proud of your Retard Grip. It looks so awkward and even painful, I'm sure we've unwittingly gotten out of some work, because of the pity felt for us. ( When I worked at a gift wrap counter one X-mas, I actually had a woman tell me she felt sorry for me because it must be so uncomfortable and hard for me to write with my left hand Shocked
Before I could say, "no, if would be hard for me to write with my other hand", her husband asked her if she'd been smoking pot.

The thing is, the only thing I do with my left hand is write. Everything else, throwing, sewing, flipping pancakes, is done with my right....no one ever pressured me, it just felt right.

I've never run into anyone who only writes with their right hand, but does everything else with their left....are there any out there?

So, who's a southpaw on A2K?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,205 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:38 pm
Suppose you were ambidextrous?

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/18inched.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:47 pm
If you write with your left hand, but like a righty, you are pushing the point of the pen into the paper instead of dragging it across. Okay with a roller point, but it would be heck with a fountain pen.

Left handed sissors? That's like a left handed monkey wrench, right?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:03 pm
I once sent an apprentice to the store to get a left handed screw driver.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 03:19 am
My uncle had a hardware store. He told us of a mechanic who was forever playing such tricks. One day he sent a very naive young apprentice for a left-handed screw driver. The mechanic ran an account at the store. Uncle gave the boy a screw driver and an invoice on which he had written -

Please note left-handed tools are NOT mass produced, but are individually made and are thus twice the price of ordinary items.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:06 am
lezzles wrote:

Please note left-handed tools are NOT mass produced, but are individually made and are thus twice the price of ordinary items.

Depends on, I suppose.

Father-in-law had a small knife etc factory in Solingen, my wife worked for more than 30 years in Solingen's cutlery industry: any major catalogue listed and lists left hand tools, scissors, knives ...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:14 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
lezzles wrote:

Depends on, I suppose.

Father-in-law had a small knife etc factory in Solingen, my wife worked for more than 30 years in Solingen's cutlery industry: any major catalogue listed and lists left hand tools, scissors, knives ...

Scissors, certainly. But I didn't realize that there were left-handed knives. How are they different from right-handed cutlery?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:27 am
I am truly left-handed in that I want to do everything with my dominant hand. I've had to adapt to a right-handed world though. Items such as scissors must be used upside down, which is fairly easy to do. Other items, such a a chain saw, quickly become very uncomfortable to use.

I had to learn to play guitar right-handed, despite wanting to turn the instrument upside down. But it isn't all that bad having my dominant hand on the fretboard.

As for writing, I have a very noticeable claw position. I attribute it to not wanting to smear the freshly written words. My handwriting has been admired by many people who, like Chai Tea's experience, think pity is in order while observing the retard.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 06:33 am
I am left handed, but I write normally. I do not curl my hand around, as many lefties do. On the other hand, I can only cut with a scissors with my right hand. For some reason, it just does not work!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 06:36 am
That's why left hand scissors are made :wink:
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:18 am
My god, the conservative wingnuts are correct! There ARE a lot of leftists on A2K!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:37 am
dexter and sinister are interesting words

dexter;
1. on the right side; right.
2. noting the side of a heraldic shield that is to the right of one who bears it (opposed to sinister).
Sinister;
of or on the left side
Heraldry. noting the side of an escutcheon or achievement of arms that is to the left of the bearer (opposed to dexter).

mollydooka is a word we use for lefties. "He's a mollydooka"

The nuns (bitches every one, I hope they are all in hell) from my early days would smack the fingers of those who wrote with their left hands because lefthandedness was the work of the devil.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 08:39 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

Scissors, certainly. But I didn't realize that there were left-handed knives. How are they different from right-handed cutlery?

They are finished/grinded differently.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:05 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
lezzles wrote:

Depends on, I suppose.

Walter - it was an ordinary screw driver. My uncle was just tired of the mechanic making fools of his apprentices and decided to get back at him.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:41 am
Re: Left handed scissors
Chai Tea wrote:
I've never run into anyone who only writes with their right hand, but does everything else with their left....are there any out there?

I'm a rightie (not politically) but my oldest brother is a leftie who was forced to learn to write with his right hand. He does everything else left-handed.

My sister writes left-handed, but is ambidextrous for everything else.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 10:00 am
Re the writing bit....I think lefties had a harder time when people used fountain pens and quills. In that case the nib really does push into the paper, where a rightie is pulling it along. Nowadays, with gel pens and rolling balls, that's not really an an issue.

As far a how the leftie claw developed, I once really observed myself writing....There's the obvious thing of smearing your hand through the still wet ink.

However, watch a rightie write. They naturally start with their arm/hand close to the right side of the body, and have plenty of space to pull their hand out to the right without any hinderance.

For a left handed person....if we start writing with the pen in front of the body, there's a very limited amount of space we can move our pen to the right before our arm crunches up to the left side of the body. So, the Retard Method is actually just hauling our arm up out of the way so we have some room to manuver. The alternative would be to move the paper several inches to the left, so the arm has some room to play with, and we can hold our hand straight.

HOWEVER, that doesn't usually work in the real world. At school you were fortunate if you could find one of those "left handed desks" which, IMO, suck.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper333/stills/954422417025.jpg

Then there's the other solution which I was never bright enough to understand. The "turn the page at an angle" thing. Problem is, the next time I went to write, I'd forget which way to turn the paper, and just make the situation worse....or, after nunzilla turned your paper the "correct" way and walked off, it would be so weird and akward feeling I couldn't concentrate on getting the correct answer, and soon turn the paper back to where my brain wasn't short wiring.

on the scissors, aren't the blades reversed? When you hold RH scissors, the left blade moves down when you open them. I think of LH scissors, the right blades moves down.

http://www.dick-blick.com/items/570/38/57038-1008-2ww-m.jpg

http://www.securewebpage.net/mothergoosetime/images/as-scissors.jpg

oh....Phoenix.....Phfffffft!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
I'm a lefty, but turn my paper sideways and write vertically so that I don't have to twist my hand around. There was no such thing as left-handed scissors when I was a kid so I learned to cut right-handed out of necessity (the edges of the blades don't cut it you use your left hand with right-handed scissors). That's about the only thing I do with my right hand, except peel potatoes. My mother once bought me a left-handed potato peeler, but I can't seem to use it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:18 pm
Interestingly, I'm right-handed in most things. I write with my right, fire a pistol or rifle right-handed. But my left hand is stronger than my right. If I'm having a hard time unscrewing a jar-top or tightening something right-handedly, I'll just switch to my left and find it a lot easier to accomplish the task. Go figure.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 08:42 pm
I'm right handed.

I broke three fingers on my right hand once and had to write with my left for a while.
I found it extremely difficult - as I wanted to write from right to left!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:00 pm
I had an odd job as my first job the day I turned sixteen - it was taking mini-xrays of all patients who either were admitted or dismissed from a local hospital. I was part time for a bunch of years, with another student, and there was a full time 5 days a week person, except she sort of flew off in summers.

Picture the new hire sixteen year old putting on the lead shield..
well, this was a long time ago.

However, between patients and taking dictation from the radiologist, it was sort of boring down there in the basement, except that ER was fairly near. Still, it wasn't a major ER hospital, and a lot of time droned on and on and on, and then things got busy.

Re the dictation, I started to make myself a medical dictionary of my own. Eventually, I was weary of that - or periodically I was weary of that, so I started to teach myself to write left handed.

Well, I never got to be an adept, but I got up some speed in my miserable efforts. Let's see if I can remember how I slanted my hand..

OK, I tried it. Page angled slightly to the left of 90 degrees (on the other hand, my keyboard is in the way of full play) I took a ballpoint pen and aimed right of 90 degrees. You could call it wretched, but from my past history of right hand writing, that was the way I taught myself at 16 or 17, and I bet I could get better, maybe towards infelicitous from miserable.

I'll just cap this comment off with the non sequitur that a lot of the smartest folks I've known are left handed.

Right handed in everything else, I batted left handed as a kid.
And I listen to the telephone with my left ear only,
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Left handed scissors
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:26:01