WABL Folk Music

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:14 am
Come on Folkies! Post your links right here. We'd like to see links to audio streaming, free downloads and/or MIDI's. Here's some Celtic music to get us started:

Celtic Music
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,373 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 11:12 am
Hi Swimpy --

Here's one of my favorite 'streams' for folk music.... I usually select 'Folk Essentials' or 'Traditional Folk'.

http://entertainment.msn.com/Stations/Stations.aspx?subcategory=15

One of the reasons I like this site.... you don't need 'Real Player'.... I haven't downloaded 'Real Player' onto my new hard drive because they were always bugging me with messages and pop-up windows. Also, if 'Real Player' was not designated as the default player, it would interrupt other players. Perhaps I simply had not installed 'Real Player' correctly.... Anyone else have problems with 'Real Player'????

Here's a link to an active website for folk music....

http://www.mudcat.org/

Peace and Love
Sandra
Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 03:30 pm
Thanks, PaL, those are great links. Rgarding Real Player, I have it and Windows Media and Quicktime and probably others that i don't even know I have. I have a free program called Pow! that takes care of popups. You can download it at AnalogX
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 03:47 pm
Too many to name Swimp but here is a good link to find lots of info re folk music.

http://www.loc.gov/folklife/rounder.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 03:51 pm
Thanks, Joanne. That one looks like a bookmark! Any Nick Drake fans?
Nick Drake Downloads
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 04:01 pm
Linda Thompson- Fashionably Late
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 05:02 pm
Real player can be a pain. The popups aren't browser popups so it won't help to have a popup stopper. This is what I do about real:

I do not use default instalation, this way I am able to force real to respect other media players and only make it the default player of real files.

I also pretend I don't have the internet. I install and specvify that I ahve no internet connection becuase those silly real news popups drive me mad.

When they still bug me I just uninstall real and keep the installer program to install it if I want to use it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 05:06 pm
Craven, I haven't noticed that they pop up when I click on a Real Audio link. They only seem to sho up if I open the player and use it to find a radio station or something like that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:34 am
Norah Jones doesn't really fit this category, but she doesn't fit the others either. She's just a kid, but you'd never guess by her voice.
Norah Jones Streaming Audio
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 03:03 pm
This is a really interesting recording. The Chieftans joined by a whole bunch of bluegrass and country artists
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:58 am
Peace and Love wrote:
Hi Swimpy --

Here's one of my favorite 'streams' for folk music.... I usually select 'Folk Essentials' or 'Traditional Folk'.

http://entertainment.msn.com/Stations/Stations.aspx?subcategory=15

One of the reasons I like this site.... you don't need 'Real Player'.... I haven't downloaded 'Real Player' onto my new hard drive because they were always bugging me with messages and pop-up windows. Also, if 'Real Player' was not designated as the default player, it would interrupt other players. Perhaps I simply had not installed 'Real Player' correctly.... Anyone else have problems with 'Real Player'????

Here's a link to an active website for folk music....

http://www.mudcat.org/

Peace and Love
Sandra
Very Happy

great site Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:41 pm
I'd forgotten about this thread. What made you dig it up, panzade?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:12 pm
was trolling through old threads

good call swimpy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:17 am
Maybe that will bring some life back to this old tired site. Some of the best threads are the old ones.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:24 am
Don't make those old fart statements....forums evolve Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 01:01 pm
or devolve :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:05 am
yeah....