Will the Yankees Fire JOE TORRE?

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:56 am

i think he lost the team after Game 1...

lou piniella is rumored to be his replacement.

he managed ARod for 8 years in seattle, and may be able to straighten out this befuddled future hall of famer...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,799 • Replies: 20
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:22 am
i say yes

but i may be wrong, they probably would have done it by now
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:43 am
George is a f'n moron. Why the hell would he fire Torre? I think he likes to bark and see his dumbass self in the media.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:51 am
Word on the street is no.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:58 am

(4th option makes no sense -- should've been "they will but shouldn't")
0 Replies

morpheus0811

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:12 am
torre stays, A-Wad goes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
morpheus0811 wrote:
torre stays, A-Wad goes.

Does he?

How many teams do you think are lined up to take over his $25 million/year contract?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:38 am

that's the thing -- its a lot easier getting rid of a $7 million manager than a $25 million player with a no-trade clause in his contract.

piniella will be wearing pinstripes in 2007...
0 Replies

morpheus0811

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:55 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
morpheus0811 wrote:
torre stays, A-Wad goes.

Does he?

How many teams do you think are lined up to take over his $25 million/year contract?

Yankees owe him 66 mil over 4 years. $16.5 mil per year. Thats less than what Soriano will be getting this offseason. And dont forget Texas is still paying a portion of the salary.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
Joe should stay for at least his last contract year, and A-Rod should be beaten about the face and head with every bat that he used to go 5 for 46 over the past three postseasons.
0 Replies

kickycan

morpheus0811 wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
morpheus0811 wrote:
torre stays, A-Wad goes.

Does he?

Yankees owe him 66 mil over 4 years. $16.5 mil per year. Thats less than what Soriano will be getting this offseason. And dont forget Texas is still paying a portion of the salary.

Man, do I miss Soriano.
0 Replies

morpheus0811

Region Philbis wrote:
that's the thing -- its a lot easier getting rid of a $7 million manager than a $25 million player with a no-trade clause in his contract.

piniella will be wearing pinstripes in 2007...

seemed pretty easy to trade him the last time. TWICE. Though only 1 was official. and the team trading for him doesnt pay $25mil.
0 Replies

morpheus0811

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
Torre just announced that the Boss told him he will be back next season.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 02:04 am

one year later, and joe is once again dangling by a thread...

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Win or else! That was George Steinbrenner's message to Joe Torre before the New York Yankees played the Cleveland Indians on Sunday night, and that's what they did.

With the Yankees trailing 2-0 in the best-of-five, first-round playoff series, Steinbrenner reverted to the blustering boss of old and said Torre likely wouldn't return as manager unless New York reaches the AL championship series for the first time in three years.

"His job is on the line," the owner was quoted in Sunday's editions of The Record of New Jersey. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

New York then rallied from a three-run deficit for an 8-4 victory that forced Game 4.

Torre was hired before the 1996 season and led the Yankees to four World Series titles in his first five years but none since. New York last reached the World Series in 2003, wasted a 3-0 lead against Boston in the 2004 ALCS, then was eliminated by the Angels and Detroit in the first round the last two years.

"You're not surprised by whatever comes down the pike," Torre said. "You don't always get used to it, but you understand if you want to work here -- and there's a great deal of upside to working here -- that there are certain things you have to deal with. We've had ultimatums during the season, early in the season. This obviously is down to a game we need to win, and you'd like to believe everybody's trying to pull in the same direction."

Torre has led the Yankees to 12 consecutive postseason appearances, winning 10 AL East titles and two wild-card berths. His 1,173 regular-season wins are second among Yankees managers behind Joe McCarthy's 1,460.

"If we don't perform, it shouldn't be a reflection of his abilities. The reflection should be on us, not on him," pitcher Mike Mussina said. "I don't think you can ask any more from somebody who's dealt with every circumstance that has come up, from injuries to people not playing up to their abilities or scrutiny or everything, and he's stood tall and got us in the postseason every year."

In the final season of his current contract, Torre is being paid $7.5 million. He hasn't decided whether he would want to return but has seemed open to it in recent weeks.

"It's too early for me to address that because, you know, the most important thing for me right now is winning Game 3," he said.

Torre matter-of-factly answered questions for 12 minutes about 2 1/2 hours before game time. He found out about Steinbrenner's comments when he arrived at Yankee Stadium.

"I choose not to read the papers and stuff when we don't do well," Torre said. "I jump in there when we're doing well."

Steinbrenner didn't comment as he walked into Yankee Stadium. He changed managers 20 times from 1973-95 and nearly fired Torre after last year's four-game elimination. Torre had a humorous response when asked whether his job would be safe if the Yankees did come back.

"Till the next series, right?" he said.

"You have seen managers who have been here before me. I don't think any of them have been on easy street as far as the day-in, day-out operations here," he said. "So whether I think it's right, wrong, fair, foul or whatever is really not the point at this point in time. I'll save all that stuff for later on when there's really nothing left for me to do here."

New York players have long been accustomed to Steinbrenner's pointed remarks.

"Obviously he speaks his mind at any time," general manager Brian Cashman said.

(full article)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:23 pm
Whatever will provide the worst possible outcome for the hated Yankees.

Let 'er rip!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:04 pm

they can't fire him... because he quit!

Torre turns down Yankees
Longtime manager declines one-year, $5 million offer

Joe Torre turned down a deal to return as Yankees manager for a 13th season on Thursday.

In a conference call, Yankees president Randy Levine said the club offered him a $5 million contract for 2008 with incentive clauses that could have increased the value to $8 million. The option for 2009 would have kicked in at $9 million if they won the American League pennant next season.

"It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said. "We will be doing that very, very quickly."
(full article)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:08 pm
How 'bout those Indians?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm

the dodgers are on the verge of hiring torre, who will most likely bring mattingly with him...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:14 pm
Rumors of A-fraud as well.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:21 pm

yeah, i think he'll end up in LA, but the angels have the bigger wallet...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Will the Yankees Fire JOE TORRE?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:34:04