Drinking cola may increase risk to women's bones

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:46 pm
Quote:
Drinking cola may increase risk to women's bones

Last Updated: Friday, October 6, 2006 | 6:49 PM ET
CBC News

Women who drink cola may be increasing their risk for low bone mineral density linked to osteoporosis, researchers say.

A study of 2,500 people concluded that drinking the carbonated beverages was linked with low bone mineral density in three different hip sites in women, regardless of age, menopausal status, calcium and vitamin D intake and use of cigarettes or alcohol.

Similar results were seen for diet pop and less strongly for decaffeinated pop.

In men, there was no link with lower bone mineral density at the hip, and both sexes showed no link for the spine.

The report by Katherine Tucker, director of the epidemiology and dietary assessment program at Tufts University in Boston, and her colleagues, appeared in this week's issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

"The more cola that women drank, the lower their bone mineral density," Tucker said in a release.

"There is no concrete evidence that an occasional cola will harm the bones. However, women concerned about osteoporosis may want to steer away from frequent consumption of cola until further studies are conducted."

Calcium, phosphorus intake

While previous studies suggested cola consumption may be linked to poor bone health because it replaces milk in the diet, Tucker's study found that women who drink pop did not consume less milk than those who drink fewer colas.

But calcium intake from all sources, including non-dairy sources such as dark, leafy greens and beans, was lower among women who drank the most cola.

On average, men reported drinking five cola drinks a week, and women said they drank four. The average age of participants was just below 60.

No association was found between bone mineral density loss and consumption of other carbonated drinks.

Cola, but not other carbonated beverages, contains phosphoric acid. The ingredient could be responsible for the bone density link, but researchers don't understand how.

"Physiologically, a diet low in calcium and high in phosphorus may promote bone loss, tipping the balance of bone remodelling toward calcium loss from the bone," Tucker said, adding more controlled studies are needed to investigate the phosphorus link.

The soft drink industry says the drinks are not a major source of dietary phosphorus.

Osteoporosis is a condition that occurs when bone tissue thins or develops small holes. The condition can cause pain, broken bones and loss of body height.

Adequate calcium intake and regular weight-bearing exercise are recommended to prevent osteoporosis.

So, anybody want to switch to bottled water?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 483 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:49 pm
I already drink bottled bubby water. But the cola study is a sloppy one, at least re news briefs.
May or may not be cola or caffeine or bubbles or some other thing.
Wait for the next few studies.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:05 pm
My poison is coffee.
0 Replies

zackcadysmom

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:56 pm
hi montana
I had joined a couple of years ago, under zacksmom I think. LOL I can't remember my password, and anyway I joined again under a different name. I was having problems with court and my ex, and child support and stuff, and you were going through stuff with your ex, and child support. Don't know if you remember me, but I wanted to say hi, drop me a line some time, I am having a whole new mess of problems now with the ex, and my current bf's ex. LMAO
Talk to you soon,
Nicole
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
I thought that was you, zack's mom, and almost said so on your thread. Didn't post there as I could be no help at all. Welcome back.

On the cola study, I'll amend what I said to "it seemed sloppy to me".
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 12:49 am
Re: hi montana
zackcadysmom wrote:
I had joined a couple of years ago, under zacksmom I think. LOL I can't remember my password, and anyway I joined again under a different name. I was having problems with court and my ex, and child support and stuff, and you were going through stuff with your ex, and child support. Don't know if you remember me, but I wanted to say hi, drop me a line some time, I am having a whole new mess of problems now with the ex, and my current bf's ex. LMAO
Talk to you soon,
Nicole

Of course I remember you! It's so nice to see you back Zacksmom :-D

I can only imagine the problems you're having, as I never thought mine would ever go away.

I'm going to PM you my email if you ever want to talk or just vent. I know I needed to do lots of venting. I know my whole life is a million times better than it was when I was in that situation, so trust that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Of course A2K is also an awesome place to vent as well.

It really is great to see you back :-D
0 Replies

zackcadysmom

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:24 am
Thanks! I am glad to be back. :-)
It's nuts, I really thought things would have calmed down after we had gone to court, back in 2004, but no.... They just got worse. He took me back to court, because I was working nights on the weekends, saying he wanted zack every time I was working. I had a public defender, who wasn't interested in working for me, and I ended up losing most of my weekends with my son. So now his father has him all the time on the weekends. It sucks.
My fiancee wants to move back up where he was living, of course with me.. lol But in my original custody order, I have to stay in this county.. We do want to move, I just don't want to give up my son. I think if I get a job out there, that's better than what I can get here, it might justify a move.. The schools are better out there, not as crowded, the area is better. Joe just doesn't want to have to travel to pick up Zack.
And then of course Jason's situation isn't any better. His ex wife doesn't take care of teh kids like she should, but because she's female, she gets everything. I wish it worked that way for me!!
Nicole
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:37 am
On the matter of cola - I see on rereading that the study might not be that sloppy. I had skipped over Reyn's quote as I'd read some other piece on the subject earlier.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Drinking cola may increase risk to women's bones
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:29:30