Some good things about Autumn

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:51 am
My god, the colors. All those dull boring greens become browns, oranges, yellows, reds. The yellow daisies blooming gloriously. Gusting winds replacing sultry airless days. Who wouldn't prefer autumn to the summer?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:54 am
Three hard frosts and the flea collars can come off.

Brisker temperatures make me feel more energetic. Would that brisker temperatures resulted in constructive energy, but one can dream--every year one can dream.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 05:17 pm
The perfect weather, all the more precious since the time slam is coming soon. Just about kills me to have it get dark so early as of November. But ..it does increase the treasure that are the days before.
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 07:22 pm
I'm so glad the trees are coming into it.

When my eldest son (who is taller than me, now) was toddling about in my local park I took a series of pictures of him running through abd kicking up the leaves on the ground and these are probably the best photographs I have ever taken!

The mauves, browns and yellows thtat formed the backdrop to these pictures were what made them exceptional.

Ah, the colours of Autumn leaves, they just leave me dazzled!

I think those pictures of worthy of inclusion in a glossy, not from any photographic skill of mine but because anybody taking photos in that environment could not have failed to catch something worth looking at again.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 07:33 pm
Autumn means Thanksgiving and in Canada that's this weekend. I've got two pumpkin pies cooling on the kitchen counter as I type this. Got a long walk in the autumn air today and hope to get out again tomorrow while the turkey roasts. Autumn means it's cool enough to cook with the oven again -- yay!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:24 pm
Another good thing about Autumn, pears are in season! This means I can now make one of my favorite sandwiches:

Open Face Turkey, Pear and Cheese Melt

1 serving
1 large slice multi-grain bread
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 slice cooked or smoked turkey (about 1 oz.)
½ ripe pear (any variety), cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons shredded cheese, low-fat mozzarella or cheese of your choice, or 1 slice smokey gouda
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat broiler. Spread bread with mustard. Top with turkey, pear slices and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper.
Broil 4-6 inches from heat, 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.

Mmmm mmmm good!

One more good thing, it is cool enough for hearty soups, the making of and consuming.

Autumn also means the return of the wild turkeys to my neighborhood. For some reason, they've chosen my apartment complex as their night club and speed dating zone. Here's a blurb I wrote about it a couple years ago in my blog, along with some photos I took of the traffic jam.

Quote:
Monday, December 13, 2004

And now, time for the local news from Citrus Heights, California.

http://butrfly.net/turkeyfarm.jpg

This weekend, a disturbing cacophony arose from the nearby wild turkey farm as a gang of the giant parakeets escaped and went on a rampage through the neighborhood. Last seen prowling my apartment complex, these turkeys should be considered charmed and dangerous.

Currently, we're experiencing thick valley fog of the pea soup variety. I could barely see the buildings across from me yesterday morning. Very dangerous to drive in.

Speaking of driving, this just in...

http://butrfly.net/turkeyjam.jpg

That gang of turkeys was just spotted trapped along the walkway in a traffic jam. Looks as if the gals are a little red-cheeked by the overly dramatic struting of the toms as they display their wares. I don't blame them for cackling and sounding their horns in an effort to get traffic moving again.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:04 am
The light is different in the autumn - that adds to the impact of the autumn colours.

... and the sunshine without the heat - I love that.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:34 am
Parkin - yummy!

(with a cup of tea)

x
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
Fresh picked apples, pumpkins, and hard squash.

Bright, sunny days and cool, crisp nights.

Friday night bonfires with family and friends.

Leaf peeping and woodland hikes without bugs.

Long bicycle rides that don't leave you dripping in sweat.

Trips to the city when it's not too hot or too cold to walk everywhere.

The 'harvest moon', which was absolutely gorgeous the other night.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 11:07 am
"fall back" (i cherish that extra hour of sleep...)
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 02:33 pm
When do the clocks go back?

x
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 02:47 pm
Quote:
Daylight Saving Time begins for most of the United States at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April. Time reverts to standard time at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October. In the U.S., each time zone switches at a different time.

In the European Union, Summer Time begins and ends at 1:00 a.m. Universal Time (Greenwich Mean Time). It begins the last Sunday in March and ends the last Sunday in October. In the EU, all time zones change at the same moment.

Date change in 2007

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to revert the Daylight Saving Time back to the 2005 time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:17:54