Reviving my not-so-developed flair for singing

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:15 am
I may not have the best voice in the world. But, I have always loved to sing when no one is around and in the bathroom. Lately, I have noticed that I really enjoy singing, not just when alone but in presence of others too. Interestingly, a few months back, I embarked upon a plan according to which I decide on two particular skills every month that I want to develop and then work on improving. One of them is usually something that I have no prior experience in - I am total rookie; but the other one is a rudimentary talent that I could have worked on but never did.

I thought it would be a good idea to merge my recently revived passion for singing and my personality/skill development program together. So, its gonna be singing this month. Yippie!

I learned Hindustani (Indian) classical music during high school. It was my optional subject and I never took it seriously. Still, I have some experience in that area so I am confident that I can go about it.

Ok, now, I want to capitalise on my plans for singing fully. I want to be able to sing in front of an audience. I would like to see myself possess that kind of confidence. I will break this plan down to a more concise strategy.

Here's how:

Why I am not that bad:

1. As I said, I don't have a very sweet voice but I don't really sound like an elephant screaming. My voice is okay. I'll go ahead. Besides, I have come to believe that its not actually that matters but how you modulate it to synchronise with the music playing. Isn't it?

The problems I have to work on:
1. My voice sounds good till I keep humming at low frequency and volume. A little raise and the voice tears apart -- it becomes shrill.

2. I don't know many songs.

Ok, now, do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from you all. I'll keep updating this thread with my progress.

P.S. No way am I going to restrict this learning process for one month. Singing is now a hobby and it would continue to be so even after October!But, this is the month I want to master all the basics
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:27 am
I don't have a great voice, but I love to sing. I find the experience very cathartic. I have joined two local community choruses that perform in the neighborhood.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:32 am
Go for it Spidergal, sing your heart out.My friends think I have a good voice tho personnally i think its nothing special but I d love to sing.I havnt sung much recently so its not as good as it once was.
How I long to be forced to do kareoke just so I can be a pop star for a few minutes.

Sing, sing with all of your lungs Spidergal!!!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:31 am
MG

Thanks for that inspiration! I would love to hear your voice someday. (Upload it on youtube Laughing )

Anyways, I have this song "Yaadein" (Hindi) and I played it a couple of times this afternoon. I have learned the lyrics. Cool

Tomorrow, I am going to sing it out (with all of my lungs,yes) and test my first performance. Cool

Ok, I am still encountering the "shrilling" problem. Any suggestions on achieving a smooth voice. (I know my genetics. Of course, I can't alter it but then.....)

Well, this is so fantastic. I am already enjoying it so much. But, I have to be careful that it doesn't interfere with my studies.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:06 am
Re: Reviving my not-so-developed flair for singing
spidergal wrote:
I
1. As I said, I don't have a very sweet voice but I don't really sound like an elephant screaming. My voice is okay. I'll go ahead. Besides, I have come to believe that its not actually that matters but how you modulate it to synchronise with the music playing. Isn't it?

Ugh, typo.

Besides, I have come to believe that its not actually the voice (or sweetness of it) that matters but how you modulate it to synchronise with the music playing. Isn't it?
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:05 pm
Record yourself, listen to it. You will sound alot different than what is in your head. Possibly alot better Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:53 am
Yes, Bawb, I am going to do it. I had this idea all along.
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:38 pm
A few suggestions, If you want to hear what you sound like while you are singing, place your hands palms facing forward on each side of your head just in front of your ears. This allows the sound to go around your head, and allows you to hear your actual voice. Warm up your voice by standing straight, feet shoulder width apart, arms at your side, take a deep breath exhale and close with a smile. practice some scales both up and down. While you are doing this put your hand on your diaphragm (which is at the bottom of your rib cage just above the stomach. You should be able to feel it move as it is pushing the sound out. Keep your mouth open, and don't tip tour head backwards. Join a local chorus or church choir, this is great practice, and the lessons are free. Sing along with your favorite songs, and find the natural rests where you can take breaths. Practice holding a note on a single breath without losing the pitch. Find sone friends who enjoy singing and sing together. If you really become serious, you can find a voice coach. Good luck, and stick with it!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:47 pm
Imn,

Great suggestions! I am gonna try those.

Progress report: Yesterday, I slacked if off. No practice. But, today I have promised myself to be more disciplined. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:58 pm
All good suggestions, Miss India, but recording your voice, and listening with a critical ear is important. One of the most challenging things in vocalizing is learning how to work a microphone. Good intonation is also a must.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:26 am
I come to think of it, Miss Letty, that I haven't yet thought of microphones. Well, I'll see to it when I have mastered the basics and achieved some confidence.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 04:01 am
so you sing like Lata Mangeshkar?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 04:45 am
Naaaaaaaaaaah

I have a unique voice. May be it resembles someone but I really don't know. May be when I will sing in front of an audience, others can tell that. Laughing
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:02 pm
Tape it and post it in YouTube.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:57 pm
I had this idea in mind.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:34 am
Still trying to find my "voice"..........

*hums*
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:46 am
I stumbled upon http://www.singshot.com. You might like it.
0 Replies