Vinyl records

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:42 am
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my fairly big vinyl record library. The music is mostly classical, with some 1970's - 80's folk, pop, a little jazz. Like most people, we stopped getting LP's as soon as CD's were invented, but for some reason we kept all the old records.

The covers are great to look at, but beyond that I really don't need them any more, even though I have a good turntable.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:55 am
Ebay?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 01:22 pm
VinylWeb-dot-Com is a place to start ... lotsa useful links. There's a very active community of vinyl collectors and album art fans, with a well-developed market; however, they know what they want and they know what its worth. I'm a vinyl junkie myself, owning literally thousands of albums. I'm into swapping & trading - and listening (no substitute for the sound of good vinyl on good gear) - more than buying and selling. The thing about popular music is that it is just that; popular - lots of it gets sold. Unfortunately for most folks, that means there's unlikely to be much of relatively significant value to a knowledgeable collector in those boxes of LPs & 45s (if you're old enough) you've had stashed away for years.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 03:09 pm
If they are in excellent condition, there are people who will play big bucks for certain recordings. We had a lot of the Mercury Living Presence classical records. We put an ad in the paper. Some guy came from Ohio to New York to buy the records. He gave us a couple of hundred dollars for one record, and about at average of 15 bucks for most of the others.
He had the records presold, mostly in Germany and Japan.

We still have a lot of vinyl, and some of them beats CD in sound quality by a mile.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 03:17 pm
Yeah, I always thought the hype over CD sound quality was horse poop.
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:15 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Timberland, I will try vinylweb.com, and will also bring some of them to a used record dealer in Seattle, which is my neck of the woods. The album art on some of them is exquisite, and I can imagine some art collector wanting them for the covers, if nothing else.

I did look at Ebay, but there is very little classical music being sold there. Most of the albums have 0 bids, and the prices are ridiculously low. Somebody specializing in Indian sitar music has swamped the "classical music" section with a huge number of ads.

If I could just connect with the right buyer, I have a great product for them, but how to find them?

Edgarblythe, what newspaper did you advertise in?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:26 pm
There's probably a record store in your part of the land that will buy your vinyl, if in good condition.

I will never part with my wax. We still have our turntables, the ol' man and I. We have two.

I think you'd probably have to murder him to get to his collection.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:27 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Not hardly!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:09 pm
Try THIS, eb

eoe wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Not hardly!

Obviously, you've never heard good vinyl played back on good gear.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:16 pm
Oh yes I have. But, I will confess, I haven't heard good vinyl on good equipment SINCE the introduction of CD.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:59 am
I guess you people think I was extolling the quality of CD sound, when I called it horse poop? Ive never been a fan of the stuff, myself. I still listen to vinyl at home, but have CDs for when I'm driving.

I didn't advertise anything in a paper, never claimed to have done so.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:32 am
eoe- I think that you would be shocked if you went into a really high end audio store. There are many people who would pay thousands for a really high end turntable and cartridge. In addition, there are purists who would not consider anything except a tube amplifier.

We have some pretty good equipment, and a well recorded vinyl record has a quality to it I have never heard on a CD.

Just to give you an idea: (No, we dont have this stuff! Sad )

http://www.audiofederation.com/catalog/turntables/
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 10:21 am
LOL, Phoenix - I do have some fairly sophisticated, relatively expensive turntable/cartridge rigs (mentioned briefly here) - but not on the order of those. My primary turntable - several years old now, but a model still in production - is in the $1000 class, and mounts a cartridge representing a slightly lesser investment.
0 Replies