Whats the beef?

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:04 pm
Mame wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't really mean "what's your argument with me" ?

It did where I'm from.

(Please poing those scissors somewhere else, wouldja?)

In that case, we would say, What's your beef? not WHERE'S THE beef, n'est-ce pas?

I were addressing the title of the thread.

If I can say, "What's your beef?" or "What's his beef?" then could I not, as a third party observer, approach a party where clearly there was a beef, but ownership of said beef was not immediately apparent, ask of one of the participants or of a fellow disinterested observer, "What's the beef?"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:05 pm
By the way -- it's what's for dinner.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:08 pm
patiodog wrote:
Mame wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't really mean "what's your argument with me" ?

It did where I'm from.

(Please poing those scissors somewhere else, wouldja?)

In that case, we would say, What's your beef? not WHERE'S THE beef, n'est-ce pas?

I were addressing the title of the thread.

If I can say, "What's your beef?" or "What's his beef?" then could I not, as a third party observer, approach a party where clearly there was a beef, but ownership of said beef was not immediately apparent, ask of one of the participants or of a fellow disinterested observer, "What's the beef?"

Yeah, LOL, you're correct in that case... I see where you're going.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:13 pm
Well, if you it doesn't ring of New Kersey or New York or Chicago in your head, I'm not sure it makes any sense initially...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:32 pm
No, you're right... there's a lot to be said for the accents, eh? lol
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:34 pm
Ah, you westcoasters don't have an accent. Lived in Washington for 4 years and never could tell BCers from the locals. Not these california-boy ears, anyway...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 05:35 pm
Don't think the Americans say 'eh', though, do they? Eh?

You're right - there's not much diff, even among BC and Alberta, Alberta & Sask... you have to head way east to get an 'accent'...

Where in WA did you live?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:53 pm
This is quite comical, not only does nobody Britside know what it means it seems that nobody stateside knows what it means either Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:08 pm
We know what it means, we just don't know the origin--and we might differ on usages. For example, i think that PPD is incorrect--it would be appropriate to approach a situation as a third party and ask another third party "what's the beef?"--meaning, what's the cause of the uproar.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:35 pm
Then you agree with me -- though I haven't been so clear in expressing myself.

Style triumphs over substance, after all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:50 pm
I always knew you were a good Dawg.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:28 pm
No bad Dawgs, just bad pipples.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 02:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
We know what it means, we just don't know the origin--and we might differ on usages. For example, i think that PPD is incorrect--it would be appropriate to approach a situation as a third party and ask another third party "what's the beef?"--meaning, what's the cause of the uproar.

I know setanta that you know what it means, I'm sure every american does but where the heck did it come from?

If we can trace the origin of our language back to Chaucer, surely you can trace yours back to 1920.

Come on people dig deeper
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Whats the beef?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:15:07