I need a new news site.

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:10 am
I had DSL through sbc/att and was provided a nice homepage through yahoo where I could edit content. I had a nice scrolling news window that updated throughout the day. It worked kind of like a slide show where it would give you the headline, a picture and usually the first sentence in the article. News coverage ranged from breaking world news to funny fluff pieces and even some entertainment.

I had a sports section that showed my favorite teams scedules and scores. A comic section. a music section, tv listings, Headlines from rueters, NYT anda few opinion pages.

So I move and couldn't get DSL service at my new address, so my homepage got downgraded to the "Dial up version" which really really sucks.

So I need a new place to get my news. Where do you go? Is there a one stop shop that you know of... something like I described above?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:24 pm
http://www.news.google.com isign up for a free Google account, and you can personalize the page a variety of ways. Doesn't auto-update, no scrolling headline, but F5/Refresh bribgs up the latest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ Not very customizable, no "Auto Update" either, but comprehensive, has a scrolling "Top News" ticker, also offers a downloadable scrolling desktop headline ticker which is somewhat customizable

http://today.reuters.com/news/home.aspx - Often slow to load, but comprehensive, though without signing up for a free Reuters account, not very customizeable, no auto update here, either, but a fairly customizable downloadable desktop ticker also is available.

Yahoo!, MSN, and Myway all offer the option of configuring and setting a customizable home page which you can structure as a news page, drawing from a variety of sources and outlets.

My personalized Google News is my default browser start/home page, BTW
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:32 pm
Google news is pretty nice.

Thanks Timber.
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
Media-Underground - Underground media..
Slashdot - All fields of new discoveries or issues from all types of categories.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
It comes down to preference, really; do you want broad-spectrum news as it is reported, or limited-focus opinion of news as it is blogged about?
0 Replies