There's a daddy long legs in my room!

cumulus

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:32 pm
God said to the daddylongthing "You're going to have a terrible life! kids will pull your legs off for amusement, but you have one powerful thing in your favour you have a highly toxic bite..." the DLL was quite happy with this until God added almost as an afterthought "There's just one catch: You havn't got any teeth!"

I don't know whether this is true or not! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:15 pm
the theory is that the daddy longlegs have a potent bite (they can kill widows/redbacks), but their fangs are too small to puncture human flesh.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:23 pm
Interesting thread.

Welcome to A2K, cumulus.
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 08:07 pm
Thankyou LordEllpus! Laughing

There is a theory [I heard it on radio 4 recently when my car stereo was bust and I could only get radio 4] that in the autumn wasps food [fruit] is deteriorating and the wasps end up imbibing alot of alcohol from the fermenting fruit and this is what makes them aggressive at that time of year.

Quaint notion, don't you think?
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:13 pm
Daddy longlegs make clicking sounds?? I never knew that..
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:49 am
littlek wrote:
the theory is that the daddy longlegs have a potent bite (they can kill widows/redbacks), but their fangs are too small to puncture human flesh.

If they can get a toothy grip on a redback, I shouldn't imagine a human would be any more difficult.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
cumulus wrote:
Thankyou LordEllpus! Laughing

There is a theory [I heard it on radio 4 recently when my car stereo was bust and I could only get radio 4] that in the autumn wasps food [fruit] is deteriorating and the wasps end up imbibing alot of alcohol from the fermenting fruit and this is what makes them aggressive at that time of year.

Quaint notion, don't you think?

I've seen elephants falling down drunk from eating fermenting fruit, so I can well believe that.
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:59 pm
Yes, there were some cows locally who were seen staggering about in a strangely stupified state, barely able to walk straight, this mystified everyone until someboby noticed that the cattle had been drinking from a pond that stood directly underneath an apple tree which had been dropping its fruit recently.

What strong stomachs these creatures have, if alcohol were that easy to distill safely for the rest of us there would be no brewery millionaires!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 05:22:56